Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.  I'm working on a multipage document in InDesign and I want to bring in a multipage PDF document into that InDesign document.  For some reason, when I do File>Place, it brings in the first page of the PDF (with perfect formatting) but the other pages do not come in.  Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Hi all,

See  (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/place-a-multipage-pdf-in-indesign/td-p/11343293 )  for a consolidated list of scripts and solutions to place multipage PDF in InDesign. Try the solutions and let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Scripts>Sample Folder there should be a script named ImageCatalog, which lets you make catalogs of image assets and it would work with single page PDFs. You could use AcrobatPro's Organize Pages tool to extract the PDFs into single pages saved to a folder, then run the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

Having experiencing on importing pdf into indesign file.

Its working fine by using "PlaceMutliplePagePDF.jsx".

But I have the 10 pdf and 10 10 indesign files.

these 10 pdf pages should be imported into respective indesign file.

Is there any script/help available from any of you.

thanks,

murali    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have been trying to find a script that does this with one added feature and I haven't had any luck. I need a script that imports a pdf exactly as the default one in InDesign does, but sets each InDesign page to the original size and orientation from the pdf instead of defaulting to 8.5x11. If anyone knows of one or what code I could add to the existing one that would be awesome!

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge thank you to Luis Felipe Corullón @ http://lf.corullon.com.br/scripts_id_lfc/index_enus.html. He got me setup with exactly what I needed super fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the "Import Multiple PDF Pages" dialog box?  How do open this so I can adjust the pdf on the page, or resize the pdf, or any of the other ways to utilize the document before placing?  Is this option only obtained by a newer version of the PlaceMultipage.jsx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to change from paper size 8.5 by 11 to say  8 by 10, It is better and faster to change the page size in Acrobat Pro DC before importing the pdf into Indesign. If you do that the placement into Indesign would be perfect, and you will not have to move files on pages after importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent instructions and thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except unless I am missing it, you can't CENTER the pages. They start at x:0 and y:0. My previous 3rd party script (that had OPTIONS) no longer works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi herb4,

what was your previous 3rd party script?

What's your version of InDesign and operating system?

Are several versions of InDesign running simultaniously along with InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155 and you try to run the script? Presumably MultiPageExporter.jsx ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about it. I found an updated version of the 3rd party script I use. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you are working with MultiPageExporter.jsx the latest version 2.6.2 is hosted and curated by Mike Edel:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

Important Note: I have discovered a bug with InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155 that could prevent this script from running:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/mulitpage-importer-and-Indesign-2020/m-p/10735751#M160518

To solve this remove or comment out the following line of code in MultiPageExporter.jsx :

#target indesign

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link to the Mike Edel script. It worked perfekt! (I was not willing to place 400+ pages manually...)

Regards

Susanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Saved HOURS by not having to manually place 420 pages from a PDF into an InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing!

Just one thing: the PDF's pages get all attached to the top left corner of the page.

Is there a way to make them be inserted in the exact center of each page and, if the page is bigger, make them scale up to fit proportionally? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inélsòre,

don't know if you tried the MultiPageImporter script, but there you have them, the options how you place the PDFs on a page:

MultipageImporterScript.PNG

This is from version 2.6.3. And it is still working with InDesign 2020.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe!

Where can I find that script?

In the Window > Utilities > Script list I have not found it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe posted the link on the previous page. 

Quote: In case you are working with MultiPageExporter.jsx the latest version 2.6.2 is hosted and curated by Mike Edel:

Download the script and save it to the InDesign Script folder at "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2020\Scripts\Scripts Panel" or something similar, dependig on your OS and ID Version.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, thanks!

For macOS users, the folter is in Applications/In Design CC 2020/Scripts/Script Panel

Strange that, in there, there is no User folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially this script was written by Scott Zanelli. For some years now it is curated by Mike Edel at:

FWIW: Well, the actual version is 2.6.2 and not 2.6.3 as I stated before.

I used the naming 2.6.3 because I edited the code for my personal use.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the pdf is in the indesign document, are you able to edit the lines/text etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the pages are placed like pictures. The content can not be edited in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super helpful! Thank you so much it's saved me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

See  (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/place-a-multipage-pdf-in-indesign/td-p/11343293 )  for a consolidated list of scripts and solutions to place multipage PDF in InDesign. Try the solutions and let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am placing an 80 page document using cs6 in indesign.  I donot want it to be dropped onto every page.

How do I set it up in Java scripts or before so that it will skip the pages I do not want to  have 

pdf ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines