• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing Illustrator file into InDesign 2020 - Bleeds aren't visible!

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found an issue with placing an illustrator file into InDesign 2020 - the bleeds don't seem to always want to come with it. It seems to happen sometimes, but not all of the time!

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

In addition to adding bleed to your elements in Illustrator, the Illustrator document setup needs to include bleed. (you probably did, I just want to make this clear). If you still have the file from two weeks ago, is it still doing the same thing? re-saving it in Illustrator might fix it, or saving as a PDF (using the Illustrator default settings) should fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select show options when placing the file and make the appropriate choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your import Crop options (check box at then bottom of the import dialog, or hold the shift key when double-clikcing or choisng Open. You will want to choose Bleed.

Screenshot 2019-12-26 12.41.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't making a difference with it.

I set bleed in the Illustrator file which seemed to fix it. But we had an instance (I work for a marking department in a corporation) two weeks ago where whether the .ai was saved with or without bleed and no matter what we chose in the Import box it wasn't working. Seems we have to try all the things and hope at some point it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to adding bleed to your elements in Illustrator, the Illustrator document setup needs to include bleed. (you probably did, I just want to make this clear). If you still have the file from two weeks ago, is it still doing the same thing? re-saving it in Illustrator might fix it, or saving as a PDF (using the Illustrator default settings) should fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luke, thank you so, so much for being on the ball and posting this answer. As a book designer, I just received cover files from a professional illustration company, and when importing the front and back cover files into my InD file, nothing I did or tried (just as with @katem52382870 who originally posed the question) would bring the bleed along with. I have learned a new and valuable Illustrator tip today. If this pro cover design company ever misses this step again, I'll be able to fix it on my end and to tell them the problem so they can avoid in future. (Hopefully it was just an oversight on their part this time!) Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure you may have figured this out by now, but in case you haven't. Or if someone else needs a solution. Open up the Illustrator file. Go to file and scroll down to Document setup. Where it says "Bleed" enter the bleed amount you want typically .25 or .125 is the standard bleed for most. Then do this same thing in InDesign. Whenever you "place" the Illustrator file into InDesign, it should now show bleeds no matter what Options you select. Hope this help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines