Highlighted

Placing image from CC Library appears with white background

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up CC Libraries for a client a couple of years ago now. Assest uncluded logos and icons created in Adobe Illustrator. Previously, when the images were placed into InDesign the images retained transparent backgrounds. Now when I import directly into InDesign from CC Libraries, the images do not retain their transparent backgrounds. These are vector images of logos and icons that are now showing up with white backgrounds even when I export to print or PDF, still there. I can manually place the images (Ai eps files) into InDesign with no issue. Tried to edit the files and save them into the latest format of Ai but to no avail. Older InDesign files utilizing the CC Library assets still work but not new documents.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

As I recall, here's the problem: When you place an Illustrator file (AI) into InDesign, when you Show Options, you can turn on and off transparency. There is no such setting in a graphic saved to CC Library assets. When you drag from CC Libraries it depends on the last setting you used in Show Options.

I believe that if you place (File > Place) an Illustrator file and choose Show Options and TURN ON Transparency, that will affect subsequent files dragged from CC Libraries.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Print, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Placing image from CC Library appears with white background

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up CC Libraries for a client a couple of years ago now. Assest uncluded logos and icons created in Adobe Illustrator. Previously, when the images were placed into InDesign the images retained transparent backgrounds. Now when I import directly into InDesign from CC Libraries, the images do not retain their transparent backgrounds. These are vector images of logos and icons that are now showing up with white backgrounds even when I export to print or PDF, still there. I can manually place the images (Ai eps files) into InDesign with no issue. Tried to edit the files and save them into the latest format of Ai but to no avail. Older InDesign files utilizing the CC Library assets still work but not new documents.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

As I recall, here's the problem: When you place an Illustrator file (AI) into InDesign, when you Show Options, you can turn on and off transparency. There is no such setting in a graphic saved to CC Library assets. When you drag from CC Libraries it depends on the last setting you used in Show Options.

I believe that if you place (File > Place) an Illustrator file and choose Show Options and TURN ON Transparency, that will affect subsequent files dragged from CC Libraries.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Print, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 2
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. That did the trick! I had been thinking about this all wrong. Was thinking eps not Ai. Eps imports have no transparency setting but Ai does. Oddly, I was trying to find the solution last night and ran across something strange. I found that any Ai file that was assigned white, like a white version of a logo, when inserted from CC Libraries, came in correctly—with transparency!? All in the past now, thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link which reported the same solution:

https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/placing-cc-library-vector-object-in-indesign

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0