Highlighted

Placing Indesign Tagged Text

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to place an ID tagged text file, but ID doesn't recognize it as a tagged text file. It only gives me import options for plain text.

I am using Windows 10, ID 15.0.2 x64, Creative Cloud desktop.

I've seen encoding and line endings suggested as a possible cause. At another suggestion, I opened it in Word and resaved it hoping it would solve a line ending issue, but still no luck. What else can I do?

I did have success copying and pasting my text into my ID template, coding it manually, and then writing it out as ID Tagged Text. I could then place that file as tagged text. When I wrote it out as ID Tagged Text, I notice that it had Header Text that was no in my original file. So I added it, hoping it would solve the issue, but again no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Placing Indesign Tagged Text

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to place an ID tagged text file, but ID doesn't recognize it as a tagged text file. It only gives me import options for plain text.

I am using Windows 10, ID 15.0.2 x64, Creative Cloud desktop.

I've seen encoding and line endings suggested as a possible cause. At another suggestion, I opened it in Word and resaved it hoping it would solve a line ending issue, but still no luck. What else can I do?

I did have success copying and pasting my text into my ID template, coding it manually, and then writing it out as ID Tagged Text. I could then place that file as tagged text. When I wrote it out as ID Tagged Text, I notice that it had Header Text that was no in my original file. So I added it, hoping it would solve the issue, but again no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda,

The key is to not use a text editor that adds formatting to the file, so Word being a word processor would not work for creating tagged text file. On Windows you could use notepad as the editor. Also if it still does not work, could you explain how you created the tagged text in the first place, and if possible send across a sample file so that we can have a look to identify the issue

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Here are a few other points I forgot to mention:

1. The file is saved as a plain text file from Word as Unicode UTF-8.
  2. Dragging and dropping the file does not change the outcome.
  3. One of my colleagues can place the tagged text file without problems on his MAC, using the same version of ID.

I only use Word for the initial text entry, then I save it out as a plain text file before converting it to ID tags. I do not use any styles in Word.

To create the tagged text file, I use an inhouse editor that converts the tags in the plain text file to ID tags. I use simple tags such as \p for a paragraph, \mt1 for a main title, etc.

I'm not sure the file attached.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file did not attach. Please try saving it from Notepad. You can copy/paste from Word into Notepad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, best to avoid Word completely, you probably have messed up "smart quotes".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I can't find a way to attach the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload the file on a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive etc and paste the public URL here.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda, try the following link and see if it works. Worked for me on a MAC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jkj9q9trqxmxnq/tdmc_adobe%20sample_05.07.20.idtag.txt?dl=0

So in your original file the encoding was UTF-8 with BOM, if i changed the header to <ASCII-MAC> and encoding to just UTF-8 it worked

For <UNICODE-MAC> the encoding required is UTF 16-LE and line ending needed to be changed to LF

I don't recall properly the reason but in the past i have had issues with UNICODE-MAC so i have always used the ASCII header for the tagged text files and it has worked just fine for me

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manan,

I tried your file and it worked! I'm confused about why it works because I'm on a PC in Windows 10. But really, no explanation is necessary as long as it works. Thanks so much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda, just follow the inputs about the line ending, encoding and the file header i mentioned. Almost always one of these is the culprit. I have had little trouble this way with tagged text for the past decade or so.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0