• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing multiple images in numerical order

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to place 200+ images to place in sequence into a template. I'm using master pages for the format of the page. When I select the 200+ images at the same time they place like the following:

001, 010, 011, 012, etc.

I purposely numbered each object as above hoping that Indesign would see them in the natural order of 001, 002, 003, etc.

This is a Windows version, 2017, but it does the same thing on my Mac version, 2017 also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Let me get my "stupid" hat on straight here.

The problem with this is two fold. One, the actual page order of the PDF files was different than the numbers that were assigned by a 3rd party app. Example, page 2 according to the file name was actually page 10 - who knew?

Secondly, after fixing the issue above I had to add two leading zeros to pages 1-9 to insure they were placed before page 10 - problem solved.

Thank you for the replies and my apologies for taking up people's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

strange.

Just tested with a sequence of named images with "001-Image.psd" , "002-Image.psd" … "010-Image.psd".
I cannot see this with InDesign CC 2017.1 on Mac OSX 10.10.5.

The order of the names in the Place Gun is always in ascending numeric sequence.
001, 002, 003 …

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

see also the ExtendScript (JavaScript) code at hilfdirselbst.ch:

Tiffs automatisch auf jede Seite laden - Adobe InDesign - Seite 2 HilfDirSelbst.ch - Forum

Save the code as text-only file with suffix *.jsx and place it in the Scripts folder of your InDesign.

Run the script ReloadPlaceGun_AlphabeticalSortedFiles.jsx after your Place Gun is loaded from InDesign.

Hope it will work…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe! This script saved me hours of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get my "stupid" hat on straight here.

The problem with this is two fold. One, the actual page order of the PDF files was different than the numbers that were assigned by a 3rd party app. Example, page 2 according to the file name was actually page 10 - who knew?

Secondly, after fixing the issue above I had to add two leading zeros to pages 1-9 to insure they were placed before page 10 - problem solved.

Thank you for the replies and my apologies for taking up people's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. That's the solution of the riddle…
Since you were talking about "images" to place and not "PDFs" I ruled out something like that:

Visible contents ( page numbering ) vs incorrect naming of files.

… I had to add two leading zeros to pages 1-9 to insure they were placed before page 10 …

The script linked to in answer #2 should work for cases like that. It reloads the files in the place gun in order: 1, 2, 3 … 10 etc.pp. And not: 1, 10, 2, 3 …

As long as you place something that can be described as "image" or "graphic" placed in a container frame:

EPS, Image, Imported InDesign Page, PDF ( also AI files ), PICT, WMF.

Not things like: IDMS snippets, sounds or movies in the place gun.

Not tested: Perhaps the script could mess things if one is using the place options for individual items in the place gun.

Examples: Not placing page 1 or artboard 1 of a distinct PDF, an InDesign doc or an AI file. Or if you perhaps set special import rules for layer handling, PDF boxes, color management etc.pp.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines