• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing photos seems to have changed

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been able to drag jpegs from a desktop folder into InDesign without an issue.  Suddenly, I'm getting a message that the photo will not all fit on the page and so it won't drag in.  Now I have to make a frame, import the photo, and then fit the photo to the frame, which takes up a lot more time and steps.  I'm working on a photo travelogue book, and this will cost me several extra hours.  Is there a work-around?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

I just completed a Autobiography book using 100's of images. I presized all of my images in Lightroom and or photoshop before placing them. Most images where 1 column wide which on my book was 5" wide. So i calculated 300dpi times 5" =1500 pixels long side. So i did a batch export from lightroom saying make long isde 1500 pixels. I made JPEG highest quality. Took just a few minutes to export i than used these exported images. So try to either use Photoshop or LR and resize images at 300 DPI time

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: start dragging to the InDesign canvas (the page) and when you see the icon in InDesign click but hold down the mouse button, so do not click and let go, then drag out the frame in the size you want before releasing the mouse button. It has to do with the actual size of the image: with just dragging it in it will be in 100% of its original size, so a big image will come in big...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if the JPEG has been saved using Photoshop’s Save for Web or Export, the image looses its output dimension and resolution metadata—save for web defaults to 72ppi as the output resolution. So a 4000 x 6000 pixel image at 72ppi has an output dimension of 55.5" x 83.3". If you can control the format of the placed images use .PSD, which will honor the image’s actual output dimensions—there’s no advantage with the JPEG format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate answer correct.

If you used any other method, please share it here. It'll help other users having similar concern.

If you still have issues, let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the methods suggested but they didn’t make any difference.
Thanks,
Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just completed a Autobiography book using 100's of images. I presized all of my images in Lightroom and or photoshop before placing them. Most images where 1 column wide which on my book was 5" wide. So i calculated 300dpi times 5" =1500 pixels long side. So i did a batch export from lightroom saying make long isde 1500 pixels. I made JPEG highest quality. Took just a few minutes to export i than used these exported images. So try to either use Photoshop or LR and resize images at 300 DPI times dimension of your images at final placement size or close to it. Try just one than see if that will drap into page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks. That sounds like a good plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines