• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

placing svg file created in illustrator turns out wrong

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an object in illustrator, copied it and placed it on top of the original object and added some effects onto that top object (grain and gradient and transparency). Then saving it as an svg file and trying to place it in indesign it keeps looking like in the pic (it should just be the yellow objects with some effects on top of it-what is going wrong? I am about to go crazy about this...

the original yellow object was cut out from a solid circle using pathfinder-can it have something to do with that?
Skärmklipp.PNG

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

2021-01-26_15-00-20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it really needed to import the image as SVG? this format is not very good to keep complex appearance such as transparency gradients or blending modes. You can import AI files as they are, in AI format without any distorsions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip of using ai files instead!
I managed to somehow get the svg files right looking by using asset export(i think it was) so it look right in my indesign document now. And i have to send it for print now. Is there a problem having svg files in an indesign doc that shall be printed(cmyk of course)?  The color mode for the illustrator document where the icons are created are in CMYK mode

I rather not take the time to figure out how to transform them to ai files-can I just go along the way I have it now do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.SVG files do not support CMYK even if your AI document Color Mode is CMYK. Saving as .SVG outputs RGB color with no color profile—you really don’t want to use SVG if color mangement is important.

InDesign’s Preflight will flag an .SVG file as RGB:

svg.png

The file in AI with the "A" filled as 50% Black and the color mode set to CMYK:

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

svg is a format for internet, not for print. So you can have any unexpected issues when it interacts with the printing machines.

If you create the images in Illustrator, just save them like the program suggests you (as AI). It's not a difficulty at all. Then in InDesign select the image, open Links panel, click on a "chain" (Relink) button and select the AI file with the same name to replace the image.

This will guarantee that your printing will go fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

But I want to sav out out individual artboards in illustrator as separate ai files, and I cant get that to work, or even saving out a selection as an ai file. my ai doument is huge wit lots of different graphics on it) Is there a way to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-01-26_15-00-20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super thank you for your good advice-it works now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines