• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to insert a new text frame between already linked text frames?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was working on a 100 pages document and I had to insert some new text to replace an entire chapter.

Is there a way, except copy-paste, to replace the text from multiple pages? I have the titles numbering and footnotes continuing from the first page to the last, and I want the new content to update with the rest.

To simplify: in the image attached I want the D frame to replace the B frame and still be linked with A frame and continue with linked C frame afterward.

The only way I see it right now is using copy-paste, but with many pages and different styling and notes, that is kinda difficult to control.

Thanks for any help.

Catalin

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Hi Catalin,

for this purpose you could use a script by Timothy Ariel Walden that is supplied with InDesign 2020 in the Community folder of the Scripts panel: BreakTextThread.jsx

All details about the script here:

https://www.id-extras.com/break-text-thread/

That script could break the threaded story at a text frame you select.

Essential: The two chunks will retain their individual texts.

Then you could thread the new text frame to the last frame of the first chunk, when done thread the two c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it can be done, see the screengrab below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woor6d0gey8ssz6/screen%20recording%202020-07-15%20at%206.06.49%20pm.mov?dl...

Edit:- In case its not clear, i did the following steps

• Clicked twice(not double click but click, wait, click)on the outport of the frame that will come before our new frame. This will break the thread from this frame onwards
  • Move the cursor to the new frame and click over it to create the link
  • Click on the outport of this frame and then click on the next frame. This should establish the new link

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. You manually have to delete the initial content of the middle frame. The old content needs to be replaced. Works ok for small frames and a small amount of text, but when I have hundreds of pages after the point of insertion,  and I have to replace several pages. Also, it places the new fragment at the end of the story. I need it in between not at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Catalin,

for this purpose you could use a script by Timothy Ariel Walden that is supplied with InDesign 2020 in the Community folder of the Scripts panel: BreakTextThread.jsx

All details about the script here:

https://www.id-extras.com/break-text-thread/

That script could break the threaded story at a text frame you select.

Essential: The two chunks will retain their individual texts.

Then you could thread the new text frame to the last frame of the first chunk, when done thread the two chunks together.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I installed the script and indeed, I can use it to solve the issue. It is way better than the default script because it retains the contents.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Catalin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is yes, but the impact of your actions is entirely dependent on the text document(s) you've already placed, and the composition of the text document you want to replace/insert into the existing InDesign document. There are easier ways to do this.

Is the 100-page document one entire text thread — everything placed from one text file? If it is, replacing the offending chapter text will directly affect the layout of every page of your document that follows the start of your offending chapter text. You'll have to adjust the page(s) of your document at the end of the text thread, adding/deleting pages to accommodate page discrepancies that may occur due to your text insertion.

Is each chapter its own text document? If this is the case, then replacing the text is much easier. Just remove/replace the old text with the new copy, and if necessary, insert pages to accommodate the overset/delete blank pages to eliminate empty pages. If the document is linked to a larger publication, either manually on your part or using InDesign's automated Book functions, repagination to accommodate the differing page count will be necessary. Which is a better alternative than ...

Is the replacement copy its own discrete text document? Which in this case, would probably be best served by highlighting the text you want to be replaced with your Text tool, using InDesign's File>Place menu command, selecting the discrete text document you want to replace the offending text with, then selecting the Replace Existing Item check box.

As far as footnotes, if they're generated/tagged through InDesign it shouldn't be an issue beyond what's already been discussed. If they've been placed independently and manually, they most definitely will be. Paragraph/character formatting likely will be. No matter how you accomplish this, an immediate through proofing of your InDesign document(s) following these updates is most important. It will let you adjust/fix any subsequent issues before they can become major problems later. Don't forget that other book utilities, like indexes and table(s) of contents could well be affected too.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. The 100-page document was one entire text thread with charts and tables, titles, notes, lists. That's why it is so complicated. I will try to use the script recommended and change chunks, piece by piece.

In fact, it is a scientific/statistic study that I have done in one language and now the client needs the English version.

I have the styles from the other version, I formatted the English text accordingly, but it has to replace the original texts while keeping the original appearance.

Cheers,
Catalin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalin said: "…It is way better than the default script because it retains the contents."

Thank you for reporting back!

What default script do you refer to?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be one of SplitStory or BreakFrame. However i am thinking if using the script save some mouse clicks instead of doing it manually by copy paste et all

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines