• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PostScript printing skips pages

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 520 pages book typeset in InDesign as multiple files book. Upon typographer's request, I  exported it to a grayscale PDF (rather thank CMYK). I failed doing this job through the normal PDF export, but this is a matter of another post. Then I tried another way: I printed the book as a PS file, with CMYK-to-grayscale color conversion. What amazed me is that after the PS esport the resulting file presented random gaps in the pages. Instead of 520 pages there were only 135. When I retried the same procedure the resulting pages were 135 again. (I must specify that the PS->PDF conversion was made by MacOS, not by Adobe, so maybe MacOS is the one to blame about this issue).

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

If you have Edit>Color Settings set to Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off, there will not be an option to choose a grayscale destination when you export.

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why aren't you using conventional (reliable and proven) methods of producing PDFs for print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to produce a grayscale PDF by the traditional export procedure. Then the typographer suggested me this alternative way. I feel stupid, but I am not able to obtain a PDF converted into grayscale color space... Any suggestions? (I am not a professional user)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are instructions for exporting a grayscale PDF. They were written for InDesign CS6 but also work on InDesign CC:

https://creativepro.com/finding-export-pdf-to-grayscale-in-indesign-cs6/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I am not a professional user)

Also, if the book is text only set your Appearance of Black Printing/Exporting Preference to Output All Blacks as Rich Black

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am also upset about the malfunctioning of such a simple thing as PS printing... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean the PS to PDF was done by Mac OS? You should absolutely be able to get grayscale out of InDesign and you can doublecheck it in Acrobat.

What version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed doing this job through the normal PDF export, 

For a grayscale Export you have to set the Output tab to Convert to Destination—not Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)—when you scroll through the Destination profile list there will be Grayscale profiles to choose from. Also make sure you don’t have Color Management set to Off in the Color Settings dialog:

exp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

What do you mean by the following?

Also make sure you don’t have Color Management set to Off in the Color Settings dialog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have Edit>Color Settings set to Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off, there will not be an option to choose a grayscale destination when you export.

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reminder that you can convert after-the-fact in Acrobat Pro.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines