Highlighted

Postscript trouble in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some troubles to print a PostScript file with InDesign CC 2017.
When I open the print menu, I choose "PostScript®" printer, the PPD is Device-independent

but I cannot change the Format…
So, when put my PS file in Distiller, my PDF file is completely cropped up…

What can I do?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

Don't use PostScript any more. No EPS, no PDF via print.

Use PDF/X-4 and use export to create PDFs. There is not even one reason to use PostScript to create a PDF.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Postscript trouble in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some troubles to print a PostScript file with InDesign CC 2017.
When I open the print menu, I choose "PostScript®" printer, the PPD is Device-independent

but I cannot change the Format…
So, when put my PS file in Distiller, my PDF file is completely cropped up…

What can I do?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

Use PDF/X-4 and use export to create PDFs. There is not even one reason to use PostScript to create a PDF.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 14, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov+Isaacs  wrote

Amen!

- Dov

🙂

But if you absolutely* have to print to PostScript you could get the PPD from my Dropbox account:

Dropbox - ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD

Just create a folder exactly named PPDs in the Presets folder of your InDesign installation and copy the ADPDF9.PPD file to it.

* there could be some cases where it's ok to have a fall-back to that old and depricated workflow distilling a PostScript file to PDF: Re: PDF über "exportieren" falsch // PDF über Postscript und Distiller richtig

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 almost 2021 and that answer is still absolute b*ll*cks.  If you are an independent contractor/user/designer, don't have the ppd file/ endpoint printer profiles  in the print booklet  > set up screen and adobe STILL doesn't provide easy simple ways to find them, add them, adjust the settings and the settings won't adjust even when you change the page size to something like 11x17 for a 20 month calendar .... then you absolutely have no clue what designers and users are going through in the real world.

I totally hate absolutist, non-contextualized, rigid, black/white, either/or answers from know-it-all people who are not authoritatively informed and think they know everything. So fricking annoying. So UNHELPFUL.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel better?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe 9.0 PPD Uwe posted still works. Here is the Adobe page. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed. "Device independent" is a PPD for special purposes, and does not support any page sizes, as page sizes are not device independent. Of course, if you are printing to an actual printer you must not use anything but the right PPD. If you are printing to Distill (really, very very strongly advised against), then use the Distiller PPD as noted - but ONLY if you're going to Distill.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
rob day LATEST
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 7.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0