• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PPD for InDesign 2021

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the PPD to work with InDesign 2021. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if it's not supported at all. My IT guy suggest I reach out to the community to see if anyone has any answers. I am running Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina). Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

You’ll need to install it in the InDesign application folder. Quit ID and in the Presets folder make a folder named PPDs (name is case sensitive). Move the ADPDF9.PPD folder inside of the PPDs folder:

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what printer? Is the printer a Postscript printer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a color separated file. I don't know the technological terms, but in InDesign I go to file > print > and the printer dialog box I choose printer > Postscript file and then the pull down for the PPD which was ADPDF9.PPD. I have the PPD installed in Library > Printers > PPDs folder.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to install it in the InDesign application folder. Quit ID and in the Presets folder make a folder named PPDs (name is case sensitive). Move the ADPDF9.PPD folder inside of the PPDs folder:

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly!! Thank you so very much for your time! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be aware that “color separated” PDF files are not supported by direct PDF export simply because that type of workflow is really a deprecated workflow practice from the late 1990s. No modern RIP/DFE and/or PDF workflow requires such pre-separation these days and in fact such PostScript=>PDF workflows often degrade output quality.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov. Unfortunately our equipment is that old and we still use that color separated process for our films.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU GO! well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adding ppd to printers where did you get the PPD file? I don't seem to have one installed and can't find one anywhere! Same process as yours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just put this in our groupchat - THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So awesome....thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to download the PPD file no longer works. Where else can I find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Linnea5C2A , Yes looks like the link is broken, here‘s a copy:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/d677f9aa-cad0-4376-6e3c-daf72f9fe201

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come back to this type of answer to this question every few months now because I keep losing my PPD folder with the InDesign updates. I guess I have to mention this over in ADD THIS FEATURE ADOBE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S PAGEWORTHY to get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s zero chance that the Adobe PDF 9 PPD is going to be included in an upgrade install. Also, there could be any number of third party plugins, fonts, scripts, PPDs, swatches, that would be lost on an upgrade when you choose to remove the older version. I always archive the current application folder before upgrading, so I have a backup of the files I’ve added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines