• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preflight shows no errors but font not visible in layout

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a document that I have to revise that was created and last saved in August 2020 without any issues. But now in February 2021, the InDesign document is behaving oddly. Preflight shows no errors, but the font I'm using in the headlines has become invisible. I know the text is there as I can select the whole line of it. I've tried changing colors to see how it'll respond but it remains invisible. I see the font style is correct without any indicators – such as the brackets – that there's an issue and I checked the fonts in the document and they are all accounted for. I've checked Font Book to confirm that there's not a problem there. Has anyone else encountered this? What is the solution?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

That is so bizarre! I just Exported as an IDML file as you suggested. And when the exporting was done and it toggled back to the INDD file, the fonts resolved itself. So strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I just opened a one year old InDesign file of a community journal from its editer, a red message was displayed on the lower screen that Font Type-1 shall not be supported in the future (?). I was baffled! So I tried to get a screenshot and was not able to get the same message again , neither with InDesign CC 2020 nor 2021. I hardly use Font of Type-1 anymore, but I have still some in my font collections that I bought many years ago from Adobe...

Can you check your font in your font collection? Click on i (Font Information, see screenshot) and check, whether your problem could be Type-1...

If this is the case, you probably are able to find a more modern font of the same style. What is your "problem font"? I might show you an alternative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the Font Information and the font is an OpenType PostScript. So it isn't that in this instance. Aside from the particular InDesign document that I was originally referring to, I've just encountered a similar issue with another document that I just opened up. This second document is from December 2020. The glitch seems to happen at random (?), it's a different font that's not showing up on this December document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry. Every day I get at least 3 mails from the InDesign Community. I am baffled about this grab bag of problems. I use InDesign since its creation – i.e. after Adobe swallowed Pagemaker – and never encountered similar problems. However, after certain Mac OS updates I often encountered general computer problems: the time machine did not stop their backups, external volumes were ejected while I was working, Adobe programs needed updates etc. So before every update I check licenses etc. of all Apps, locations of archives and substantial configuration objects in the user library etc. Then I perform about a yearly clean install (I use Time Machine backups only to retrieve library components or preferences). Always such acions reduced drastically size and number of objects in the libraries (with all programs working again). So heavy user of Macs are recommended to do this regularly. I can do a clean install within a few working hours. Most time is needed to load the operation system over the internet. It may help, but there is no guarantee...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried regular troubleshooting—save the document as an IDML file and reopen the save IDML, clear your InDesign Caches, trash preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to fumble in Libraries, that is why I changed from Windows to Mac. I burned my fingers many times.

Your advice: Clear InDesign Caches

according to  ".../user/lib/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version...".

You mean: Delete everything under Adobe InDesign?

Your advice: Trash preferences.

according to "...*/user/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/"

You mean: Delete all under Adobe InDesin?

I see the many community questions about InDesign which I use professionally since CS3 – and never had any bug. Perhaps because I frequently depend on Clean Install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would export an IDML first to make sure there is not a file corruption. Then delete the Caches folder (that would not affect the current preferences settings)—interface problems can be cache related. Delete ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Caches⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version XX.0⁩ and restart ID

And finally, if that doesn’t work reset the prefs. I usually move the preference folder to my Desktop and restart ID—Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version XX.0⁩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is so bizarre! I just Exported as an IDML file as you suggested. And when the exporting was done and it toggled back to the INDD file, the fonts resolved itself. So strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines