• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

primary text frame

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it is possible to introduce a table of content when there is a existing test inside the primary text frame?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Then you may find that you have to do it again manually, replacing the previous text with the updated version.

This is one of those options where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't depending on how the individual InDesign document(s) are constructed. When I'm doing this kind of work, the best way to ensure version control is to run the indexing and ToC functions as the last thing I do before the job goes out the door, after any and all other updates/revisions are completed. It's the only

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

1. Generate your ToC.
  2. Click off the page on the pasteboard to place your ToC text. After you do, you'll have your Arrow/Selection tool. While it's not necessary, you can stretch the ToC text frame to show the entire ToC.
  3. Get your Text tool. Click into the ToC text on the pasteboard. Then use the Edit>Select All menu command, and after that the Edit>Cut menu command.
  4. Click into the Primary Text Frame where you'd like to place the ToC, then use the Edit>Paste menu command to paste the ToC into it.
  5. Delete the text frame on the pasteboard to remove evidence of the crime.

You want to use the Cut-Paste workflow rather than Copy-Paste if you plan to update your ToC by using InDesign's Replace Existing Table of Contents option. If you use Copy-Paste, you'll get the text, but not the data link which tells InDesign what's on the page is your document/book Table of Contents.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy. Thank you very much for your reply. I did what you subjested but I am not able to use the InDesign's Replace Existing Table of Contents option for updating my ToC. Can you please explain how to used it, because I am traying to update the ToC but it doen't seem to work. Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may find that you have to do it again manually, replacing the previous text with the updated version.

This is one of those options where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't depending on how the individual InDesign document(s) are constructed. When I'm doing this kind of work, the best way to ensure version control is to run the indexing and ToC functions as the last thing I do before the job goes out the door, after any and all other updates/revisions are completed. It's the only way I've ever found to guarantee that the indexing/ToC is state of the art.

Hope this fills in the gaps for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How about adding a page in front of the text without a primary frame, and then proceed normally? Then you can update the TOC as much as you like so that it is always up to date. 

If you want to take Randy's approach, leave the TOC on the pasteboard and copy (not cut) the contents to add it to the main text flow. (And continue to repeat the process after each update.)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines