Print A5 page twice on one A4 page

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have 1000+ page A5 portrait indesign file. I need to print each portrait A5 page twice on a landscape A4 page, which we then cut in half with our guillotine. Is there any easy way to change the document to the format mentioned above?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Mentor , Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019
Assuming your A5 file now has not Facing pages.1. Make a copy of your A5 file (say, a5-1.indd and a5-2.indd)2. Download and install the script from this thread, post #27.3. Open both copies of your file in InDesign.4. Run the script. New document is generated.5. Switch to that new doc, in Document Setup dialog tick Facing Pages ON, and define Start Page #: 2.6. You'll get a document in spreads, with the same design doubled on each spread.7. Now you can export PDF as Spreads, or print directly fr...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's known as "Two-up".

Set your new document up as A4 landscape and set up the A5 upright page on the left-hand side, when you've finalised it make a copy for the right hand side. If you're using A4 desk-top printer, don't have any bleeds as they won't fit on the sheet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

That would still require me to go through every single page manually and copy everything across though? I would like to try automate the process as its 1000 pages - The thought of doing 1000 manual page copies is giving me shudders!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I seemed to have missed the 1000 pages!

Are you printing this yourself, or putting it out to a commercial printer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your A5 file now has not Facing pages.

1. Make a copy of your A5 file (say, a5-1.indd and a5-2.indd)

2. Download and install the script from this thread, post #27.

3. Open both copies of your file in InDesign.

4. Run the script. New document is generated.

5. Switch to that new doc, in Document Setup dialog tick Facing Pages ON, and define Start Page #: 2.

6. You'll get a document in spreads, with the same design doubled on each spread.

7. Now you can export PDF as Spreads, or print directly from InDesign, whatever floats your boat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my original file was done with facing pages. When I turn facing pages off it adjusts the pages and makes everything unaligned!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, already prepared another approach for you, but suddenly realized then, that facing/no facing stuff shouldn't matter at all. Just ignore the first sentence in my 1st post, and try.

Ah, and in pos. 5 wording should be a bit more precise: you won't need to 'switch' anywhere, script will close both source documents and will leave you with newly generated Untitled indd file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that did the job perfectly! Saved me sooo much time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I running into the same problem. This solutions is the way to go i guess.

I want to use the script, but the link directs me to the general page.

Is there any way of getting the correct link or script?

Thx in advance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Mac or Windows? If Mac, Apple Preview has a "Copies per Page" option in the print dialog, which you would export PDF from ID, open in Preview and print with said option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines