• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print settings

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to send my document to a professional printer. The printer specified the following: 'please export to PDF X/1A'.

My question is where exactly do I specify this setting as there are different options.

1. Do I set Adobe PDF Preset to Press Quality and then select PDF/X-1a under the Standard dropdown list?

2. Do I set Adobe PDF Preset to PDF/X-1a and Standard to the same?

3. Under Standard: there is PDF/X-1a 2001 and PDF/X-1a 2003. As the printer only specified PDF/X-1a which one is the right setting?

Please see screenshot.

Many thanks!!

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 00.30.22.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Select PDF/X-1, (from the Adobe PDF Presets) choose single pages (not spreads), tick crop marks and tick Use Document Bleed settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

If you keep the Standard and Compatibility settings as, PDF/X-1a:2001 and Acrobat 4, the PDF will meet the PDF/X-1a requirement.

You can make changes that will modify the preset (modified)—i.e. changing the Compression settings—and still have a valid PDF/X-1a. Just make sure the Standard setting stays as PDF/X-1a:2001

An Output panel change, like changing the Color Conversion to No Color Conversion, would force the Standard to None and the PDF would no longer be a valid PDF/X-1a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select PDF/X-1, (from the Adobe PDF Presets) choose single pages (not spreads), tick crop marks and tick Use Document Bleed settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you keep the Standard and Compatibility settings as, PDF/X-1a:2001 and Acrobat 4, the PDF will meet the PDF/X-1a requirement.

You can make changes that will modify the preset (modified)—i.e. changing the Compression settings—and still have a valid PDF/X-1a. Just make sure the Standard setting stays as PDF/X-1a:2001

An Output panel change, like changing the Color Conversion to No Color Conversion, would force the Standard to None and the PDF would no longer be a valid PDF/X-1a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to the standard, PDF / X-1a 2001 version 1.3 uses PDF which flattens transparency. And PDF / x-1a 2003 is applied to version 1.4 PDF, which allows transparency.
However, in InDesign, when you select PDF / X-1a 2003 the PDF version is set to 1.3 and not 1.4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/X

I see no difference between the 2001 and 2003 standard. Even with PDF / X-3 version 1.3 is applied and thus transparency is flattened. Only PDF / X-4 maintains transparency. That's odd to me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines