Prioritize rows over columns in a list

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a document in Japan with test questions and answers. InDesign seems to want to do split column lists like this:

1 3

2 4

In Japan, people expect lists of answers on tests to look like this:

1 2

3 4

Is there a way to set that up using paragraph styles? I'd like to keep the text very simple and not have to move a bunch of tables around.

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see what your quresion is. When you convert text to a table the text stays in the order you have it. If you want the text in a certain order, put it that way. Can you better explain what InDesign is not doing that you want it to, or is doing that you do not?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can transpose rows and columns in word or in excel and then import the tables in indesign.

For indesign you need a script

Take a look here

http://funwithstuff.com/blog/?p=254

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just For Comments!

Some months ago, a client wanted to play the same game … but not sure it was about Japanese!

As all know, I will always prefer simplicity, so 1 click just selecting text to be transposed (even if some supplementary code lines could play the game on all the doc always with just 1 click!).  😉

Capture d’écran 2021-02-03 à 09.56.56.png

(^/)  The Jedi

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies all. I realize that I wasn't clear enough about what I needed. My problem isn't with the text. As mentioned by Scott, that is determined by the order I enter it. My problem is with the way that InDesign does the numbering.

By default:

1 (Answer 1) 3 (Answer 3)

2 (Answer 2) 4 (Answer 4)

What I need:

1 (Answer 1) 2 (Answer 2)

3 (Answer 3) 4 (Answer 4)

I realize that if I make it into a table, it defaults to rows and then columns, but I want my text to look like this in the story editor:

Question

Answer 1

Answer 2

Answer 3

Answer 4

In order to do that, as far as I know, I need to use paragraph styles. Is there a way to adjust the numbering to do the rows before the columns?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines