Exit

Problem accessing indesign via activex since 15.1

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

since the update to 15.1 

i get an error: "The object does not support the property or method ..." on whatever property or method i access on the myApp object.

Example vbscript code:

Set myApp = CreateObject("InDesign.Application.2020")
myApp.ScriptPreferences.Version = 12.0
myApp.activate()

Tested with vbscript and javascript. Same in both. Works when i switch back to 15.0.x but annoying since my customer wants to use automatic updates. Also there's no "InDesign Scripting SDK" downloadable zip out yet for 15.1.0 where i could look up if adobe changed something. Will this be fixed ?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a problem with the generated TLBs.

Below a quote from markusmattfolkstenberg that was lost with the old forum.

Unfortunately the editor insists to remove "invalid HTML", I hope you can make a sense out of the remnants.

VBScript giving "Object doesn't support this property or method" error on all versions of InDesign

I've managed to solve our problem and I'll just add some additional info provided by adobe support in case anyone else comes across something similar.

" In terms of InDesign registering the type libraries with Windows, it's a two-step process. Firstly, InDesign CC 2015 should write 2 files when it launches if the files don't already exist at these locations:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\InDesign\Version 11.0\en_US\Scripting Support\11.0\Resources for Visual Basic.tlb

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 11.0\en_US\Caches\Scripting Support\11.0\Resources for Visual Basic.tlb

It should also create the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{451AF4B6-5D30-4D46-95CE-E4F900BF2D44}\1.0\0\w in32
value = C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 11.0\en_US\Caches\Scripting Support\11.0\Resources for Visual Basic.tlb

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{7C8B1C08-7618-477F-A2EC-D6DC4BCD6B06}\1.0\0\w in32
value = C:\ProgramData\Adobe\InDesign\Version 11.0\en_US\Scripting Support\11.0\Resources for Visual Basic.tlb

Secondly, those tlb files need registered with Windows. If the tlb files are created, you can force the registration using regtlibv12.exe, passing 'Resources for Visual Basic.tlb' "

The only way I could get InDesign to generate new .tlb files was to either remove or add a plugin and then launch it as an administrator. This also lead me to find the problem, one of our internal plugins had a duplicate CLID in it's scripting objects which must have prevented InDesign from loading the .tlb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the Answer. Does it mean you are working on it and ship a fix in one of the next updates ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines