• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem exporting InDesign to pdf (background doesn´t appear)

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am nearing completion of a 400+ page book in InDesign. My habit is to save it as a book pdf to send to the client, wich has always worked fine. Now though, having been upgraded to Acrobat DC, on any page which has a full-bleed background colour, the background simply doesn't appear. I can export it to single pages with no problem, but this isn't much use, although I have tried exporting single page pdfs and patching them into the book pdf. Didn't work. Can anyone help?

Is it possible to backtrack to my previous version of Acrobat? I'm starting to panic!

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

That was the point.

If the output was single pages, but the design was done with crossover to another page, unpredictable things happen. All it takes is a thousandth of an inch or a hundredth of a millimeter and you find yourself in deep, uh, trouble.

Glad you’ Past your issue. Can you please mark your question as answered so the moderators archive this for others in the same fix? 

Glad that this worked for you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your “pages” set as reader spreads? Do your bleed objects go across both pages of a spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. By "page", I mean a single page rather than a double page spread. My InDesign doc is set up as facing pages, and that is how I am exporting it to pdf.

My bleed objects are single page, and stop at the gutter, but your message has made me take a closer look. They go accurately right up to the centre line, and sit on it. I have tried nudging it just a fraction of a mm short of the centre line and suddenly it appears in my pdfs, where it didn't before. So, problem solved?

This is not happening to all my bleed objects – not full-bleed images, for example. Only coloured boxes.

Many thanks for your help. Hopefully that's sorted now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the point.

If the output was single pages, but the design was done with crossover to another page, unpredictable things happen. All it takes is a thousandth of an inch or a hundredth of a millimeter and you find yourself in deep, uh, trouble.

Glad you’ Past your issue. Can you please mark your question as answered so the moderators archive this for others in the same fix? 

Glad that this worked for you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly will, thanks again.

Actually though, reading back, I wasn't outputting to single pages but facing pages. Don't know if this makes any difference...

But anyway, problem solved and thanks very muc for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy, being a bit dense here now, but how do I mark my question as answered? I've marked your last response as correct answer but that's a bit presumptuous cos none of them were incorrect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The facing pages were the root of your evil. That was where crossover issues occur when you don’t design for them up front. Consistency between layout and output will save you from rude surprises.

Nah, you’re not dense at all. The “question answered” process is kinda vague here, but the net result is all good.

And if you have issues in the future, come back and sound the alarm. There are lots of smart people here who can help.

Good luck with your book,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines