• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem on placing ai. files

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i need some help! I am using 2020 version of Illustrator and InDesign which i updated recently, but just cannot place my ai. file an it didn't happen before.  Everytime I try to drag my ai. file into InDesign, it crushed and there is no notification. I've tried rebooting or redownloading both app, but it still happened when i tried to place/drag/import my ai. file. Anyone knows what is happening!!!?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

First of all, always make sure that you use File>Place to import files from Illustrator or Photoshop. Second, make sure that "Create PDF Compatible File" is checked in the Illustrator Options dialog that appears when saving a file as .ai in Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.41.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Hi lo13579,

I suspect that your Illustrator files are very complex ones with transparency and special effects.

What's your operating system version? How many memory is installed in your machine? 16 GB is recommended. Is there enough room on your hard disk so that some GBs of free space are there?

FWIW: Obviously your workaround saving your AI files to EPS is OK with you.

However: With EPS some features are not possible: Live transparency and color management. And that can lead to unpleasant su

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen when placing OTHER Illustrator files into InDesign? Perhaps there is corruption in the Illustrator file.

Another troubleshooting method would be to restore your InDesign preferences and see if that makes any difference:

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign - Adobe Supporthelpx.adobe.com › indesign › using › setting-prefer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to place other ai. files after i reset my Indesign preferences, its still crush, but when i save my Illustrator files into EPS fromat it can be placed, so how can I fix this. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, always make sure that you use File>Place to import files from Illustrator or Photoshop. Second, make sure that "Create PDF Compatible File" is checked in the Illustrator Options dialog that appears when saving a file as .ai in Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.41.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi lo13579,

I suspect that your Illustrator files are very complex ones with transparency and special effects.

What's your operating system version? How many memory is installed in your machine? 16 GB is recommended. Is there enough room on your hard disk so that some GBs of free space are there?

FWIW: Obviously your workaround saving your AI files to EPS is OK with you.

However: With EPS some features are not possible: Live transparency and color management. And that can lead to unpleasant surprises when you deliver pages as exported PDF files from InDesign to the printing company.

The alternative to EPS:

Save your AI files to PDF/X-4 with no image downsampling and place the PDF on your InDesign pages.

That would be the best solution, I think.

Keep one copy of your artwork as AI file, as a working file so to say; use the PDF for your production with InDesign.

If that is not working, please come back and we find a way to troubleshoot all this using Acrobat Pro's vast sets of preflight functionality and methods of diagnosis.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines