Problem with data merge: file created different from the preview

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am creating a large data merge file.

Everything is going well, the preview is correct (see the two

first images attached)... until I create the file which then incorporates only one record on the whole document (see the third image), record which is not even the first one in the file... I precise that my data merge is mutiple record merge.

Do you have any idea of what is going on?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Guillaume.

Capture d’écran 2021-03-31 à 10.43.04.pngCapture d’écran 2021-03-30 à 09.43.06.pngCapture d’écran 2021-03-30 à 09.43.48.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

From what I can tell, your InDesign document is corrupted. Running the merge after opening the IDML that you sent, I got the same sort of garbled results.  

But, when I made a new document of the same size, copied your template fields into it and re-set the merge, it appeared to work fine.

template copied into new documenttemplate copied into new document

results from original templateresults from original template results from new templateresults from new template

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

Tu as eu des réponses sur ton précédent fil de discussion en français : https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/probl%C3%A8me-de-publipostage-fichier-cr%C3%A9%C3%A9-diff%C3...

Pourquoi avoir créé un autre fil de discussion ?

Je verrouille donc celui en français.

You got answers in the previous thread (in French). Why did you create another thread? So, I will lock the French original one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

non , je n'ai pas eu de réponses, en tout aucune qui résolve le problème (la seule réponse qui tentait d'y répondre émettait l'hypothèse que j'étais en enregistrrement simple, ce qui n'est pas le cas).

J'ai créé un autre fil de discussion parce qu'on me l'a demandé (voir les messages), en complétant le sujet.

Merci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is a problem with the source file, in the “images” column. Is there a @In the header? Is the images path correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the "images column" is correctly composed, with a arobase in the header. I think the preview would not work if the images were not correctly indicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guillaume,

will this merge work without flaws if you do not use the preview?

I can remember that there is a bug with Preview of data merge.

Found this at InDesign UserVoice:

Data Merge - Can't preview without errors
Anonymous, May 1, 2018

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/34115566-data-merge-can...

If that happens the Data Merge template document should not be saved after the merge and the merge should be done again without Preview. If the template document was saved, it is damaged after the merge. So a new template document is needed for another try.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe and thanks for your answer.

I tried to regenerate the document from a new file, and without preview, but the result is unfortunately unchanged; I still have three times the same record per page.

Guillaume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guillaume,

what's your version of InDesign on what operating system?
Could you test with a different version of InDesign?

If your data merge source file is a *.csv file could you test with a tab delimiter txt file?

It's hard to help without looking into the original data merge template document and the data merge source file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 16.1

I tried of course with the two kind of file (.txt and .csv) and the result is the same 😞

I'll go test with an old version of Indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to provide a link to share your data file and your InDesign template? I think that this can only be diagnosed by examining your atual files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can, but you but you will not be able to test the photos... The two files are attached.

Guillaume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guillaume,

I can see the xlsx file attached two times.

The InDesign template document is missing.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn... sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... After sending my previous message with idml file, I received the message "The attachment's flore illustrée_massif_armoricain_fiches.idml content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed."…
Then I tried to send another post and a new message appeared : « Post flooding detected »... It is really extremely painful…

Here is a WeTransfer link for the idml: https://we.tl/t-jEXPWyE6bE

Thanks a lot for your help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can tell, your InDesign document is corrupted. Running the merge after opening the IDML that you sent, I got the same sort of garbled results.  

But, when I made a new document of the same size, copied your template fields into it and re-set the merge, it appeared to work fine.

template copied into new documenttemplate copied into new document

results from original templateresults from original template results from new templateresults from new template

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I was a little bit pverhelmed the las few days.

Thanks a lot for your help, you found the solution! My ID file was indeed corrupted, I would never have thought of that hypothesis.

All the best,

Guillaume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guillaume,

it would be interesting to see the InDesign document and not only the IDML file.

There could be issues with data merge fields after an IDML roundtrip, another bug, for sure!

Also have a look into your Hyperlinks Panel. Could be revealing if something's wrong with data merge fields.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines