Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with font

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have to use the Whitney font on my document and it does not recognise a character from my language ”ț”, instead in all documented it replaces it with a rectangle with an X inside (see file attached). What can I do to solve this?

Example.jpg

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

It is possibly that the font you now installed already was installed.

Step 1: with the font in use, check the location of the actual file using the Find Font dialog.

Step 2: quit InDesign. It theoretically can handle fonts' installation and deinstallation while running but you never know.

Step 3: remove the font from your system. (It depends on your OS how to do that.)

Step 4: restart InDesign and check if the font is still available. If it is, that was the reason. Repeat from #1 until InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a different font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot, it's the font my company uses. Changing it is not an option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Whitney have you? In the OpenType version, it exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the OpenType version and I know it exists because it used to work in the past, but not anymore, that's why I think it's strange and I cannot find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the glyphs panel and find the glyph you need there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that as well, but it does not work... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2020-04-27 à 16.01.18.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found it but I cannot replace the rectangle in the whole document with it. That is what I tried and does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get the text into the document in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste from a Word document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's your problem. Place the text, don't paste it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, like that it works, but the text is a brochure and I have to insert part of the text in different text boxes, I cannot insert the whole word document into a text box because I have several pages, each with different text. Isn't it a better way of inserting the text, because I cannot create soo many word documents to use place option....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your problem: it works when I copy and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried again, but for me it does not work. When I copy the text back in Word all the letters are in Whitney font, but the "ț” which is converted to Calibri font...

rorapa_0-1587997966526.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your font properly installed in your system or is it located in a “document fonts” folder? If this is the case, Word will not recognize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "properly installed in your system"? I received it from my colleagues, I pressed install and that was it. It is wrong how I installed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the text into an empty document and then copy/paste from there to your brochure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried that, same problem. I even use place and it still does not dispaly that character...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you receive the font files located in a folder called "document fonts”? If this is the case, it means that these fonts have been packaged with the indd document and can only be used in this document. If you have installed the fonts in your system, they should be recognized also by Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rorapa,

you said:

…What do you mean by "properly installed in your system"? I received it from my colleagues, I pressed install and that was it. It is wrong how I installed it?

Perhaps. What is your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possibly that the font you now installed already was installed.

Step 1: with the font in use, check the location of the actual file using the Find Font dialog.

Step 2: quit InDesign. It theoretically can handle fonts' installation and deinstallation while running but you never know.

Step 3: remove the font from your system. (It depends on your OS how to do that.)

Step 4: restart InDesign and check if the font is still available. If it is, that was the reason. Repeat from #1 until InDesign cannot find the font anymore.

Finally, step 5 is to re-install the latest version that you have.

Step 3:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines