• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with InDesign Files in Dropbox Reverting to Earlier Versions

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem a few times recently and I'm not sure when the problem started.

The scenario is that I am working in InDesign and my files are all within my Dropbox folder. What happens is: I work on an InDesign file and save it. Make some changes, save it etc etc. Send a PDF to the client and wait. Maybe a couple of hours later I come back to the file and when I open it in InDesign it is not the latest saved version. I know I saved it so I'm pulling my hair out! Now I've found that if I go to "document history" in Dropbox my last version will be there, with my name and 'desktop' written underneath. However, it will have been overwritten by my name but with "API app" written underneath it.

I am currently in discussion with Dropbox who are suggesting that it could be due to a lack of support for InDesign documents (they get a UFO symbol instead of an icon). But this is seriously upsetting my working to the point that I think I may have to move all my files out of Dropbox.

Has nobody else experienced this problem?

My only thought as to maybe when it occurs is if I 'option-drag' copy a document in a folder to start from, but I'm not sure about that yet - it's just an idea...

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot showing how my file was created and saved and then overwritten by "API app" about 25 mins later with the first version of the file:

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 17.25.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sharpenson,

never experienced this with Dropbox and I use Dropbox a lot for working with InDesign.

Possible, that you enabled the SmartSync feature of Dropbox. I never did.

Smart Sync could be the cause of your issues.

What's your version of InDesign and operating system?
Do you have Dropbox Smart Sync enabled?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I've not enabled Smart Sync.

InDesign 16.0 currently and Big Sur. This has happened before these latest updates, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart sync should be turned OFF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is off. I said - I've not enabled it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, read it too quickly.

So, you just have the standard Dropbox desktop app installed and Dropbox folder set up?

This is very odd. Do you also have a Onedrive account? If so, try working in that so we can try to find out where this issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Ok. I'm on Windows 10 so there is no direct comparison.

Hopefully someone with OS X Big Sur comes along and could help…

In the meanwhile I would report the issue at a Dropbox forum.

And perhaps also at InDesign UserVoice/bugs:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yesterday I option-drag copied an InDesign file and labelled it TEST. Today I looked and everything seemed normal so I deleted it. Within the hour Dropbox "API app" had put the file back in the folder again!

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.02.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines