• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with small caps "versalitas" percentage

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed in Edition/preference the percentage of the small caps, but it doesn't work, nothing happens. I've tried some other fonts but nothing. It makes changes with superscript and subscript percentages but nothing with small caps.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

If the fonts you have tried actually have small caps, the percentage does nothing. ID simply then uses the small caps as designed by the font designer. The percentage thing only applies to fonts without small caps in the font(s).

At least, I think that is how it works in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly which font? What version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make sure that you have applied the "Small Caps" to the text instead of "All Caps" from the control panel or from the Character Panel. The shortcut for Small Caps is "Shift+Cmd+H".

The percentage value is irrelevant if you didn't apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version is the latest one, and the font is irrelevant, I try a lot of them and I have the same problem, Besides I can change it, no problem.

The small caps are already applied in some parts of the text, and the programme do it well, but when I try to change the percentage it makes nothing:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the fonts you have tried actually have small caps, the percentage does nothing. ID simply then uses the small caps as designed by the font designer. The percentage thing only applies to fonts without small caps in the font(s).

At least, I think that is how it works in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. That's the thing. It's a pity that the programme doesn't let change that.

Thank you everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a character style that will simultaneously change the point size to a smaller size on text set in caps, add a bit of negative horizontal scaling and also add tracking to pull those scaled caps together. It is a bit of a cludge, but it does work. However, depending upon the font used, you may also need to swap out a regular for a semi-bold or even bold to equalize the weight a bit.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a GREP to find lower case characters (the GREP expression is \l+) that have small caps applied (Find format > Specify attributes to find > Basic characters format > Case > Small caps) and apply a character style (name it Small caps) with horizontal and vertical scale (Change format > Specify attributes to change > Character style > Small caps). This way you have total control over small caps size, simply change the horizontal and vertical scale in the character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use a GREP to find lower case characters (the GREP expression is \l+) that have small caps applied (Find format > Specify attributes to find > Basic characters format > Case > Small caps) and apply a character style (name it Small caps) with horizontal and vertical scale (Change format > Specify attributes to change > Character style > Small caps). This way you have total control over small caps size, simply change the horizontal and vertical scale in the character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines