Highlighted

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for ages now and still cannot find a solution that doesn't involve editing the Text Frame Options on every single text box on a page.

I am working with supplied artwork templates from a specific client in Germany. Whenever I select the text in a text box to edit it, the baseline shifts downwards, throwing off the templated text.

I have researched online and found, by trial and error, the only solution is to customise using Text Frame Options > Baseline Options, then select 'Use Custom Baseline Grid' and set Offset to 'Cap Height'. This re-sets the baseline again but I'm never confident it is exactly the same as the template I have been supplied as I am, essentially, tampering with a client's approved layout.

Is there a permanent solution to resolving this? I know this has been an issue going back quite a few versions of InDesign now and each update is supposed to have fixed this issue but it never has (and yes, I've used the old Preferences trash/re-set fob-off a number of times but this doesn't work, either).

Will this problem ever be resolved? It's not a good use of time to use the workaround every time I create a new file for this client as there are 20 - 30 text boxes on each artwork, which is a lot of extra unecessary editing that I can't bill onto the client.

I need to understand what is happening. Is it not retaining the custom preferences when I try to edit the text? I'm as at a loss as I was with this problem 2-3 years ago.

TOPICS
Bug, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for ages now and still cannot find a solution that doesn't involve editing the Text Frame Options on every single text box on a page.

I am working with supplied artwork templates from a specific client in Germany. Whenever I select the text in a text box to edit it, the baseline shifts downwards, throwing off the templated text.

I have researched online and found, by trial and error, the only solution is to customise using Text Frame Options > Baseline Options, then select 'Use Custom Baseline Grid' and set Offset to 'Cap Height'. This re-sets the baseline again but I'm never confident it is exactly the same as the template I have been supplied as I am, essentially, tampering with a client's approved layout.

Is there a permanent solution to resolving this? I know this has been an issue going back quite a few versions of InDesign now and each update is supposed to have fixed this issue but it never has (and yes, I've used the old Preferences trash/re-set fob-off a number of times but this doesn't work, either).

Will this problem ever be resolved? It's not a good use of time to use the workaround every time I create a new file for this client as there are 20 - 30 text boxes on each artwork, which is a lot of extra unecessary editing that I can't bill onto the client.

I need to understand what is happening. Is it not retaining the custom preferences when I try to edit the text? I'm as at a loss as I was with this problem 2-3 years ago.

TOPICS
Bug, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

maybe it's a font problem. Are you absolutely sure that your client uses the exact same font as you? Did you try to ask him (her) a package, including the fonts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Yes, the entire project is packaged by them and we use all their assets, fonts included. Additionally, when we open the ID documents, we get no errors saying there is a font issue or that we are missing fonts. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check "Align paragraphs to the baseline grid"?

Select text. In the Paragraph panel or Control panel, click "Don't Align To Baseline Grid"

Schermata 2020-10-26 alle 16.40.06.png

Schermata 2020-10-26 alle 16.39.39.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vladan

It's already set to "Do Not Align..." 

If I switch between the two options to check the settings it resets the text box as per (2) in my screenshot above. With the exception of undoing (command Z) I cannot get it to reset to the original baseline setting - it just resets as per box 2 of my image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what's happening with the file. If I open it and edit the text boxes for the first time, there is no issue with the baseline on the text boxes. If I rename the file, close it and reopen it to edit the text boxes again, that's when I'm finding an issue. See image below - box 1 (left) is the original template layout, box 2 (middle) is when I attempt to edit the text and the baseline shifts, box 3 (right) is when I've applied my workaround, but you can still see a tiny discrepancy on the baseline compared to the box 1.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 15.48.10.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload on dropbox one page of your indesign file with text boxes and share the link with us?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, not this particualr suite of templates. I am heavily restricted by NDAs and as an agency I cannot share the templates to third parties. Sorry - I know this doesn't help at all. I can ask the client but I already know what their response will be.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check this off: are the text styles in any way based on Basic Paragraph? If so, Basic Paragraph could be defined differently on your end. Doesn't fully explain exact behaviors of it not occuring until you rename the file, but something to check. p.s. Basing styles on Basic Paragraph is *not* a good practice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

No, the text boxes are all set up with custom styles, so I shouldn't have to make any adjustments there. Interestingly, when I select an alternative Paragraph Style and then re-select the original style was assigned, the text box baseline shift problem occurs as it does when I'm just changing the text within the box.

I can also confirm that the issue is only occuring when I make further changes to the text boxes after I've resaved/renamed the file and closed then re-opened it. If I make the edits when I first open it, they are fine and the baseline stays where it should be; it's only when I close the file and re-open and make further changes (which is always going to be the case) that the baseline changes. The error happens whether the file is an .indd or .idml - I've tried both ways.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is--if I may use the technical term--weird. 🙂

Suggestion: can you make a one page file of client's text (say, delete all pages but one so it starts with the original file), then use Find/Change to garble all the characters, e.g. change every "e" to "b", every "t" to "y", etc. Then post the file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

I'm looking into how I might be able to supply a demo file. The problem I have is that it's a one-page template but it has lots of copyright notices and copyrighted icons, logos, etc. on it. I'm emailing the department today to see if they'll allow me to send it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0