• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with CMYK images viewing, Indesign 2020 (15.1.2)

Participant ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

Is there anything known about the fact that Indesign 2020 - when using GPU - does not display images in CMYK (for example PSD or TIFF pictures in CMYK), but always only in over satureted RGB colors (even if I select transparent filling space CMYK)?

It only works properly when I switch to CPU usage (.. and when I give them out as pdf it's all ok).

My setting:
I Mac 5K / late 2019 / Radeon Pro 580X
Catalina Mac OS 10.15.7

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if somebody can tell me anything about it. How it works at your? I can get a CMYK preview of the images with the CPU in fact - but not with the GPU ...

It's a bit anoying. Working with CPU is much slower, especially with big pictures....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this hint!

I will post my issue there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for a good understanding: you never can show images in/as CMYK as your display is of course RGB. So it is always an RGB rendering on screen.
Now you see a different RGB rendering when using GPU. Could be transparency in combination with a missing or wrong profile for the image. That said: in a modern workflow for the last 15 years you keep your images in RGB anyway and let Colour Management (either InDesign's or the printer's RIP) do the conversion on ouput. In short: you should adopt another, modern workflow anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Frans.

Yes! Thank you for your hint!

And of course - it is clear that you can only simulate on a monitor. But when you edit and prepare images for printing, it makes perfect sense to do that in CMYK (in Photosho) at a certain point. You have other color channels. Effects are applied differently, the printable color space looks different, etc.

That is why you can have this display simulated in Photoshop - and actually in Indesign too. Which also makes sense there. That's why you should work with the same color spaces and color profiles everywhere. Clear!

The representation simulation is not fundamentally the problem. It also works in Indesign - but unfortunately only with the CPU and not the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, know I understand I think what you mean by 'simulation': the softproof rendering with a profile and that combined with GPU, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hubertus,

I think a similar issue came up lately here in the forum with GPU rendering: Someone scrolled through the pages of a complex document. The parts of InDesign that are doing color management did not come up with a decent screen rendering of showing a color managed page. This issue went away after turning off GPU support. Could be related to the high resolution of your monitor.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Uwe.

Yes - I have also noticed that the display does not work with the GPU only. But thanks for the hint!

Regards,

Hubertus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines