• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with new InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have so many issues with the latest version (v 16.0) of InDesign, I hardly know where to begin. I apologize in advance for how long this post is!

Let me start with the limited functionality of the type tool. In all previous versions of InDesign, if the command key was held down, it would temporarily change to the selection tool and many things could be done — resize a box, move an object, etc. That no longer works. Yes, it looks like it has changed to the selection tool but as soon as I click on an object to try to do something with it, it reverts to the type tool.

The selection tool is also wonky. Previously, when using the selection tool and while holding down the shift key, I could drag an object either vertically or horizontally and it would stay on the same x or y plane depending on which direction I began to move in. That no longer works.

And let's talk about the line tool. Holding the shift key while drawing a line does not create a horizontal, vertical or 45° line. In fact, I can only draw a perfectly horizontal line by creating a guide and snapping to it!

I've looked at preferences for a clue. I can't find anything that changes or explains this. Someone help me out here. These messed up basics are annoying and significantly slowing me down! Completely shutting down and rebooting my computer — my usual "if all else fails..." — has not fixed these problems.

I am on a Mac with OS Catalina v 10.15.7

— Robin

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod
To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you still have the older version of InDesign, so have you checked - do the keyboard actions still work as expected in the older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was very brave of you to upgradw without a net, so to speak, but is there any reason not to put it back? Of course it can no longer open the files edited in the new version. Generally, I'd advise installing the new version when it's a few months old, alongside the old, and carefully testing it before going with it live. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comment, while correct, is not helpful. I don't usually delete a previous version right away but this is where I am now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Preferences

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe my whole system just needed a weekend rest! Today, all is good. I had done a complete shut down of my computer last week in the middle of this and it made no difference but today it is functioning as it should without resetting the preferences which I was preparing to do.

Thanks for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines