• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with spreads--and why do some page numbers have brackets, as [16]?

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My page spreads have gone squirrely. I'm moving pages from one document to another. There are 16 pages in the document 1. When I move pages from document 2 to the end of document 1, the first (right-hand) imported page of document 2 doesn't form a spread with p. 16 of document 1. The new, imported page 17 is on a new line below it. The last page of document 1 has brackets around the page number in the Pages window, as in [16].  I can drag the page 17 thumbnail up to make a spread, which is now numbered with brackets [16-17]. If I try to add two pages after p. 17, they don't form a new spread below [16-17], but instead make a FOUR-PAGE SPREAD [16-17-18-19]. If I try dragging 18-19 off this monstrosity, they don't align properly, either in the Pages window or in the main document window, as per attached images.

Help! How can I restore the spreads? And what do those brackets mean???

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Looks like allow pages to shuffle and / or allow spreads to shuffle is turned off. Check it in the pages panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images didn't display correctly in the post. Here they are, first the main document window, then two pix of the Pages window.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 10.31.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 10.30.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 10.30.01 PM.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like allow pages to shuffle and / or allow spreads to shuffle is turned off. Check it in the pages panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it, thanks! Now what do those brackets around the page numbers mean???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means they won't shuffle. Select them, open the pages panel menu and set them to allow them to shuffle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob. How in the world is somebody supposed to know this without learning it on a support forum? And what is the point of stopping pages from shuffling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob can answer this with great detail, but here's a reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvayH_AIG8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has a learning curve. There are plenty of ways to learn it from books to video courses.

Invest the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a newbie. I've used InDesign to make more than half a dozen books over twice that many years (see http://www.larrygonick.com/). But there are always plenty of features I haven't needed. It's a much more efficient use of my time to get tips from people like you than to watch a bunch of training videos!!! In particular, I wasn't able to find out what those bracketed numbers mean by referring to Adobe's online documentation, but got a quick answer by asking here in the forum. For which I thank you kindly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Well, that's what we're here for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines