Highlighted

Produce a PDF from InDesign CS4 w/Acrobat 9.0. Windows 10 Pro OS. Error "Adobe Print Engine Failed"

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I am running CS4 on Windows 10 Pro in Windows 7 compatibility mode.  Why do I get and error message "Adobe Print Engine Failed" when producing a PDF from InDesign with Acrobat Pro 9.0.  CS4 has always worked well in Windows 7. The other components of CS4 (Photoshop, Illustrator & Acrobat Pro 9.0) work well and I can produce PDF's from each one with no problem.  If I remove the background images (.tif .jpeg) from the InDesign file I can produce a PDF properly which are the same images that I use in Photoshop.  As well I can produce PDF’s from Microsoft Office and Corel from Acrobat 9.0 Pro. I believe if everything else works so should InDesign.  I think it is a setting somewhere that would fix this problem.  I have tried all your online suggestions and have sought advice from IT professionals with no conclusion.  Please advise as to how I can correct the problem with InDesign.  Thank you. [personal information deleted by moderator]

Community Beginner
Correct answer by LPPaul | Community Beginner

Thanks for your input.  I think this is what I will have to do on my laptop with no support and not connected to the web.  I only use CS4 for one project a year as I am semi-retired. I will keep my desktop more current for communication.  That way it will be fully functional for everything else.

Thanks again.

Lynne Paul

Topics

Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Produce a PDF from InDesign CS4 w/Acrobat 9.0. Windows 10 Pro OS. Error "Adobe Print Engine Failed"

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I am running CS4 on Windows 10 Pro in Windows 7 compatibility mode.  Why do I get and error message "Adobe Print Engine Failed" when producing a PDF from InDesign with Acrobat Pro 9.0.  CS4 has always worked well in Windows 7. The other components of CS4 (Photoshop, Illustrator & Acrobat Pro 9.0) work well and I can produce PDF's from each one with no problem.  If I remove the background images (.tif .jpeg) from the InDesign file I can produce a PDF properly which are the same images that I use in Photoshop.  As well I can produce PDF’s from Microsoft Office and Corel from Acrobat 9.0 Pro. I believe if everything else works so should InDesign.  I think it is a setting somewhere that would fix this problem.  I have tried all your online suggestions and have sought advice from IT professionals with no conclusion.  Please advise as to how I can correct the problem with InDesign.  Thank you. [personal information deleted by moderator]

Community Beginner
Correct answer by LPPaul | Community Beginner

Thanks for your input.  I think this is what I will have to do on my laptop with no support and not connected to the web.  I only use CS4 for one project a year as I am semi-retired. I will keep my desktop more current for communication.  That way it will be fully functional for everything else.

Thanks again.

Lynne Paul

Topics

Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, compatibility mode will get you only so far. CS4 is totally unsupported under Windows 10 and you haven't told us what version of Windows 10 you're running..

That out of the way, how exactly are you trying to produce these PDFs? It sounds like you're trying to print to PDF which is a horribly archaic method. You should be exporting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Thanks for your response.  Great to talk to someone who has CS application knowledge.  Adobe has been completly useless and time wasting.  I upgraded to Windows 10 home (IT was suppose to install Pro) 1909 OS Build 18363.900.  Adobe told me no problem running CS4 on Windows 10 in Windows 7.0 Compatibily mode.  I was sure sold a bill of good there.  Photoshop and Illustrator work fine including PDF conversions and they open correctly.  Indesign cannot convert through the print command or export.  I can't even open existing .PDF's that were produced in previous Windows 7 OS system without distorted images.  The graphics seem to be the problem.  If I remove the graphis, leaving the line art and text it convert perfectly.  If I can't get this to work I will have to load Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop I have.  I think some settings are wrong because it worked before on a 32 bit system.  Any ideas?  Appreciate greatly any input you might be able to share as IT professional don't understand applications.

Cheers.  Lynne Paul, horizongraphics@shaw.ca

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to run CS4 apps then I strongly suggest rolling back to Windows 7. Windows 10 is being continually updated and with each update you further and further away from compatibility. 2004 is now being rolled out.

Sorry, but I just don't have any better news for you. CS4 is 10 years old.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

Lynne Paul

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines