Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proofreader's printout - no images

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am trying to print out pages in InDesign for proofreading. Many years ago, I could do this in QuarkXPress and get a printout where images were shown with a thin black outline and a thin black cross through them. 

The closest I have managed to get to replicating this in InDesign is by going to the Graphics section of the Print dialog screen and choosing 'Send data > None' under the 'Images' heading, but it's not perfect. The graphics appear as greyscale blocks, which is wasteful on toner/ink and blocks text that's flowing around cutouts. 

Has anyone got any idea how to print a 'proper' proofreader copy that prioritises text, suppresses images and avoids printing great 'empty' blocks of grey? 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

You might not want to mess with the client's final version of the design. But why not just do a File > Save As and save a "file_proofreading" version. Then follow the suggestions provided above to turn off the graphics without worrrying about forgetting to switch the original back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing exactly like QuarkXpress. A couple of ideas. You can select an image and choose Non-Printing in the Attributes panel (under Window > Output). If it's practical for you to put all of your images on a separate layer, you can easily select all of them by clicking the square dot to the right of the layer name and them applying the non-printing attribute, or you can hide the layer that the images are on.

When you choose None under Send Data, the graphics should not appear at all. There should not be a gray box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you choose None under Send Data, the graphics should not appear at all. There should not be a gray box."

@Barbara: Out of curiosity, I tested this but (InDesign CS6 Windows at my job place), they do appear (HP laser printer). I think the best (simpler) option could be (depending on the layout), as you say, moving them to another layer.

@Karen: Just in case you don't remember, the simpler way to move objects beween layers is to select them and then drag the little square that identify them in the right side of the layers palette so that it moves into de desired new layer (that can be already hidden so as to facilitate the operation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Unfortunately, my client would be very unhappy if I started to mess with its designs, so moving layers isn't an option - I'm stuck with what I'm given. I also daren't set objects not to print, because it would only be a matter of time before I forgot to switch them back to printable. Again, I would definitely lose the contract for such an error, so that's a no-go, too, sadly. 

Any other options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think so - I have a full Adobe subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might not want to mess with the client's final version of the design. But why not just do a File > Save As and save a "file_proofreading" version. Then follow the suggestions provided above to turn off the graphics without worrrying about forgetting to switch the original back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I guess that would be a workaround. I was hoping there might have been a simpler way that I had missed. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But thank you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you have Acrobat pro?" -"Yes, I think so - I have a full Adobe subscription."

I think something could be done with a preflight profile to erase all the images images and then set all texts into black 100% in one click, but I would have to check it with a last Acrobat version (DC) because if I recall it all right, its options are better than XI's. And you'd have to do a PDF first, in any case.

Anyway, I believe you could get into much more troubles doing any of the mentioned operations instead of just printing the grey boxes. To me, Adobe programmers were somehow wise letting them because, for instance, if they are not printed you might run into troubles by skipping pieces of white or clear text that knock out over images.

That's is: By trying to avoid a minor cost you might run into a bigger trouble. But, well, that's just like my opinion... (Lebowski voice here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying, but I think an option to print a draft copy would be useful - especially for proof readers who are only interested in looking at the words at that stage. Also, these days, we have to think not just of the financial cost of ink/toner, but of the environmental impact of wasted resources. 

As it doesn't seem there is an easy workaround, perhaps I'll try suggesting it as a new feature and see if anyone else would be interested in such a print option.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - some good ideas in there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gusgsm, You are correct that with InDesign CS6 gray boxes print. That does not happen with InDesign CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barbara Ah, that could be it. My client has us using InDesign 2017, which also prints the grey boxes. I'll have to check to see if they're willing to upgrade.

Thanks so  much for clearing that up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, it seems that I have the same problem even with InDesign 2019. @Barbara - are you using the Mac or Windows version? I'm on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines