• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proportional Scaling

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up until 2 weeks ago I was able to proportionally scale art and images by shift, dragging on the diagonal brown corner box. Suddenly, when I try to do that now, it will scale but it's not a constrained proportional scale. The image will proportionally scale if I type it in in the upper menu bar. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling InDesign, but get the same result. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Is the Shift key working correctly elsewhere in InDesign? For example, when drawing a rectangle, does the Shift key force a square?

We've been seeing other applications interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign. (Broswers, browser extensions, and anti-virus apps to name a few.) To see if that is it, reboot and only open InDesign. Consider the applications that auto-load as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Barb you solved it! I turned off my virus protection (Webroot) restarted the computer and now the shift key and proportional scaling is all back to normal.Thank you soooo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For proportional scale of placed items you need to use Ctrl(Cmd)+Shift+drag. Shift+drag will proportionally crop them. Works a bit differently on a native InDesign objects, though. Shift+drag, I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Shift key working correctly elsewhere in InDesign? For example, when drawing a rectangle, does the Shift key force a square?

We've been seeing other applications interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign. (Broswers, browser extensions, and anti-virus apps to name a few.) To see if that is it, reboot and only open InDesign. Consider the applications that auto-load as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing was happening to me earlier in the year, and I thought I was losing my mind. However, not long after installing a patch for different reasons (header rows in tables would disappear if copied) the issue went away.

the patch is here: Troubleshoot issues after updating to InDesign CC 2017.1

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, No, the Shift key doesn't seem to be working correctly. It's not forcing a square when drawing a rectangle.

I just tried installing the patch, mentioned by Colin and that hasn't helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb you solved it! I turned off my virus protection (Webroot) restarted the computer and now the shift key and proportional scaling is all back to normal.Thank you soooo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. I'm so glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the exact same problem and I was helped by selecting something called "Pause secure keyboard entry" in my virus protection. The shift key started to work properly immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s new to me. What antivirus program are you using?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called Webroot SecureAnywhere. I have a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for that information.
~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines