• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish online: can text be made selectable?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm producing brand standards guidelines that will be published online. I'm very new to this feature, so the solution to this question might be obvious, but can text be made selectable? Currently, when I view the published doc, there is no way to select text. Any help is much appreciated.

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

No, Publish Online is what it is—nothing much we can change about it. You can enable the checkbox Allow viewers to download the document as a PDF (Print) when you Publish and that would have selectable text.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Publish Online is what it is—nothing much we can change about it. You can enable the checkbox Allow viewers to download the document as a PDF (Print) when you Publish and that would have selectable text.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a pretty terrible design flaw. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The text, I believe is converted to SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is right. All editable text on your InDesign page is converted to SVG shapes.

Just to make that clear: It's not converted to SVG text. It's converted to SVG path shapes.

All other contents, even placed PDFs, even placed InDesign pages or other vector elements, rectangles, ovals etc.pp. are converted to pixel images.

If you plan for guidelines that should be published to HTML with selectable text you may look into the in5 plug-in for InDesign by Ajar Productions: https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I love in5. It's absolutely brilliant and far more powerful than anything InDesign offers natively, but while you can export live text, to get things "pixel perfect" I have found that converting text to SVG is necessary.

I only use in5 for standalone projects like sales material for use on a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines