Highlighted

Publish Online Error #40 in InDesign CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Error I get is this:

An error occurred while uploading your document. Please try again.
Error #40
ID: 03f4db80-f385-11ea-9745-29e326bb180a

Error #40Error #40

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
I'm writing because I'm trying to post an InDesign file with Publish Online.
I'm using Adobe InDesign CC 2020 from a Windows 10.

I'll be honest, it's a fairly big file: 88 pages with text and high resolution images with links and interactivity.
The thing is I have uploaded the previous version (let's call it Version 1) with Publish Online and had no problems. Now I simply edited the text and created Version 2 and it won't upload. Even stranger, if I try uploading Version 1 again, it won't work either.

Note: I tried uploading another InDesign document (a 2 page CV) and had no problems.

Here's what I do.
I go to File - Publish Online.

The "Publish your document online" box opens up.
I set it up and click as you can see in the nex 2 images and click on the blue button PUBLISH.

Publish your document online GENERALPublish your document online GENERALPublish your document online ADVANCEDPublish your document online ADVANCED

A loading bar appears saying "Preparing your document to be published online" and loads succesfully. Here it is:

Preparing your document to be published LOADSPreparing your document to be published LOADS

I then get another PUBLISH ONLINE box with a loading bar that says UPLOADING YOUR DOCUMENT. Here it is:

Uploading your document... (STOPS AT 91%)Uploading your document... (STOPS AT 91%)

This bar never loads completely: it always stops at 91% and shows the message you found at the beginning of this post:

Error #40

I have already contacted the Adobe chat and they suggested the following (so far nothing worked):

1. Move pages to a new document and retry (dosen't solve it)
  2. Try uploading a smaller range of pages (ex. pages 1-5, 5-10 and so on) until you find a group that doesn't work. That is the group that contains a page with problems. (tried it but all the smaller page groups work. If I then try uploading the entire file again it doesn't work)
  3. Delete the last 10 pages and reupload (still won't work)
  4. Send Package file to Adobe expert by email and wait for answer (I'm still waiting)

Any suggestions?
    Thank you so much
    Francesco from Italy
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

Split the document in half and try and upload each half and keep splitting until you (hopefully) isolate the issue.

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Publish Online Error #40 in InDesign CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Error I get is this:

Error #40

Error #40Error #40

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
I'm writing because I'm trying to post an InDesign file with Publish Online.
I'm using Adobe InDesign CC 2020 from a Windows 10.

I'll be honest, it's a fairly big file: 88 pages with text and high resolution images with links and interactivity.
The thing is I have uploaded the previous version (let's call it Version 1) with Publish Online and had no problems. Now I simply edited the text and created Version 2 and it won't upload. Even stranger, if I try uploading Version 1 again, it won't work either.

Note: I tried uploading another InDesign document (a 2 page CV) and had no problems.

Here's what I do.
I go to File - Publish Online.

The "Publish your document online" box opens up.
I set it up and click as you can see in the nex 2 images and click on the blue button PUBLISH.

Publish your document online GENERALPublish your document online GENERALPublish your document online ADVANCEDPublish your document online ADVANCED

A loading bar appears saying "Preparing your document to be published online" and loads succesfully. Here it is:

Preparing your document to be published LOADSPreparing your document to be published LOADS

I then get another PUBLISH ONLINE box with a loading bar that says UPLOADING YOUR DOCUMENT. Here it is:

Uploading your document... (STOPS AT 91%)Uploading your document... (STOPS AT 91%)

This bar never loads completely: it always stops at 91% and shows the message you found at the beginning of this post:

Error #40

I have already contacted the Adobe chat and they suggested the following (so far nothing worked):

1. Move pages to a new document and retry (dosen't solve it)
  2. Try uploading a smaller range of pages (ex. pages 1-5, 5-10 and so on) until you find a group that doesn't work. That is the group that contains a page with problems. (tried it but all the smaller page groups work. If I then try uploading the entire file again it doesn't work)
  3. Delete the last 10 pages and reupload (still won't work)
  4. Send Package file to Adobe expert by email and wait for answer (I'm still waiting)

Any suggestions?
    Thank you so much
    Francesco from Italy
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Derek Cross | Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

Split the document in half and try and upload each half and keep splitting until you (hopefully) isolate the issue.

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size is too large. Reduce the file size and try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Derek for replying so quickly.
What can I do to reduce the file size?

I have already done the following:

1. I have removed all unused objects from the InDesign pasteboard and all unused color swatches
  2. There are no embedded artworks (although many of the links are high resolution)
  3. I have saved as a new file and created a new Package folder

Also, I don't understand why last December I was able to Publish Online the Version 1 of my file and if I try to republish the same Version 1 now it won't work any more.
Also, the only differences between Version 1 and Version 2 are merely text corrections (mostly spellcheck and rephrasing) so I didn't think it would make such a difference.

Thanks again
Francesco

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessssss!!
Thanks Derek!
I did as you said, uploading progressively halved documents and I found the problem was at page 42.
As soon as I erased a video that was on that page I was able to Publish Online the whole document!
I'll see if I can actually reinsert the video correctly but it's not fundamental.

Thank you so much!
Francesco

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 1