• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Punctuation in ID moving to the begining of the sentence...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am updating a provided InDesign file (from 2017) and am having an issue with puncuation moving to the begining of the line, but only for the first sentence.  If I begin to type a second sentence in the same text box, the punctuation reformats correctly back to the end of the initial sentence but then for the second sentence, it moves to the begining of that line (not sentence).  I am attaching a screen shot to help make this a litte easier to understand.  You can see the exclamation point that should be at the end of the second sentence,  after New Year, is now at the front of the third line.  This is a setting related to the file.  I have switched over to other files and the problem disapears.  I have ran through fonts, paragraph settings and text box settings... with no luck.  My dictionary is set to English and I am also including screen shots of my type preferences in case it helps at all.  I did look for prior discussions on this topic but only saw something similar in the PS forum, and while the issue was the same, the fix does not apply to ID - setting the Type tool from right-to-left justification to left-to-right.  This file is 368 pages, or else I would just copy it to a new template.  ID does not have this option (that I can see).  I appreciate any help and will provide any answers to questions you may have.  Thank you very much Adobe Community Members... and have a great New Year! 

[the moderator moved the attachments to inline images to make it easier for us to help you.]

HappyNewYear.pngPrefs1.pngPrefs2.pngPrefs3.png

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Can you make a Paragraph style of one of the problem text paragraphs? Then let's see if under the "General" description it mentions Right-to-Left. Sometimes this has been applied but the version of InDesign doesn't show it in the normal UI. If that's the case, I have a script that can reverse that. You might try it anyway. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzvkg4iv1vsg6tq/AAC_FlxT4qr55lwNrA0QKd5da?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a ME version of InDesign? Try clicking in in the text frame, and choose Type > Story. Is there a Left-to-Right button?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Barb.  Unfortunately, when I click Type>Story, the only two options are Opticle Margin Alignment and Align Based on Size.  Neither of them had an effect on the punctuation.  And I am using version 16.0.1 through Adobe (in English).  I am set up to auto-update, so whenever Adobe releases an update, it automatically installs on my end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make a Paragraph style of one of the problem text paragraphs? Then let's see if under the "General" description it mentions Right-to-Left. Sometimes this has been applied but the version of InDesign doesn't show it in the normal UI. If that's the case, I have a script that can reverse that. You might try it anyway. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzvkg4iv1vsg6tq/AAC_FlxT4qr55lwNrA0QKd5da?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Diane.  I spent the last hour going over all of the little ins and outs that I could find to see if anything new stuck out.  And your comment led me down a path... where I discovered even with my document settings set to English, and then going into Character and Paragraph Styles and setting those to English (they all were already), that when I create a new text box... in the Character pallate, it tells me that it's in Hebrew... which seems very odd to me.  It has to be something within this particular file.  Like I mentioned, it was passed on to me from a previous designer who used to create this annual publication.  Anyway, I condensed the file in question to one page, removed all links, swatches and any particulars... so it's at it's most basic form.  Diane, I just grabbed your scripts and will take a look... but when I opend up General inside of Paragraph Styles, I did not see anything related to text/paragraph direction. 

I saved this file here ( shorturl.at/yKYZ4 ) for download in case anyone wants to look directly at it... if that makes it easier for anyone. 

Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time and your advice Barb and Diane. 

I was able to dive back into this tonight and under closer scrutiny, Diane - you were correct. While the 'created' and used Paragraph styles were all in English, the Basic Paragraph style was not.  And in fact, it was also set up with the World-Ready Paragraph Compostion setting... something I would never have know to look for had it not been for your suggestions.  Anyway, I was not aware that the Basic Paragraph style overrides basically everything and dictates the settings for the entire document.  So even with my ID prefs set to English, my Character prefs set to English and then changing the language manually in the Character pallate to English, any text boxes created inside of this document were formatted with right-to-left justification (among other settings that came with this Hebew format I was glad to remove).  So thank you both very much !  Have a great 2021. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

Glad that worked out.

And yes, the Basic Paragraph style will be the underlying style of a document. You can always create another style (e.g. "My text"), make sure it is NOT based on Basic Paragrah, and define accordingly. Set that as the "default" style by selecting it in the Paragraph Styles panel while no text in the document is selected.

Please let me know if you need any further help cleaning up this file and getting rid of the RTL-ness. 

--db

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines