Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Putting Video in an indesign document

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I am trying to create a document in indesign which contains some videos. The original videos are taken from an iphone (6s i think) and are quicktime .mov 

I originally wanted to create an interactive pdf, however the videos would just come up as images with no playability. 

I did some searching and have tried publishing online (that would suffice for what I want to do with the doc) - no joy. I have tried running them through adobe media encoder to h.264 mpeg-4 movie files. Which results in the videos getting flickery, with strobing and distortion. (tried a 2 pass option as well as sometimes in premiere pro when exporting a vid and I get the flickering that solves the problem but not this time). 

When I publish online I have gotten a couple of the videos to play, however this is very tempermental, and usually I have to right click and open video in new tab, then it will do so and when I go back to the doc only then can I press play. 

Is there a way to import the videos into the doc, publish online or create an interactive pdf where they actually play. If other people are looking at the doc I dont want to have to say oh by the way if you want to watch any of the videos you have to right click and open it in a new tab. Also if there is a way to have them as the originals are without flickering etc that would be great! 

Apologies im still very new to a lot of these technical aspects, hoping someone can help me out!

Regards,

Steve 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Since Flash has been dropped using videos in PDF has become obsolete. You can include a hyperlink in your PDF to an external video such as YouTube or similar.

InDesign Publish Online documents should play videos, try using shorter ones.

Alternatively, you can create an HTML5 document in InDesign using the in5 plug-in (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Flash has been dropped using videos in PDF has become obsolete. You can include a hyperlink in your PDF to an external video such as YouTube or similar.

InDesign Publish Online documents should play videos, try using shorter ones.

Alternatively, you can create an HTML5 document in InDesign using the in5 plug-in (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek thanks for the response.  How short should the videos be? these are only max a minute, most are only 20-30 seconds. 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure, experiment (and with different sizes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to what Derek mentioned, I'd request checking out this help article to know more about adding media files in InDesign documents. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines