• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question on PageMaker files conversion

New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6-8 PageMaker 6.5 (7?) that I believe were last opened in 2002. In the 'finder' folder they simply show up as the small black box with "EXEC" inside of it.

OK I know that I should have realized a long time ago (' ... when the earth was green ...") that I should have converted my files to the current formats on at least a 3-year basis. WELL I DIDN'T!

From all that I have seen on the forums, this may no longer be possible for ME TO DO do to at least one of these issues -

Computer too new,

OS too new,

Adobe licensing issues,

etc.

So here's the first question - am I right that there is no way to get a copy of the older InDesign software (CS6 or older) that could open them?

If that is not possible, is there someone out there who does have a running 'older' system that could do this for me?

I appreciate any and all help!

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

I would be happy to, Rich.

Using a new PC, Windows 10, but still running (perpetual license) CS6 on it. I have no idea whether a conversion will be OK or not. When I have done so in the past it's ranged from OK to I'll start over (using the pdf as the basis).

Feel free to upload it to dropbox or the like and PM me a download link. I'll see what happens and (hopefully) PM you a download link.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy to, Rich.

Using a new PC, Windows 10, but still running (perpetual license) CS6 on it. I have no idea whether a conversion will be OK or not. When I have done so in the past it's ranged from OK to I'll start over (using the pdf as the basis).

Feel free to upload it to dropbox or the like and PM me a download link. I'll see what happens and (hopefully) PM you a download link.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem also. Would you have time to assist me? I am Philip McMullan at {User information removed by MOD} I still have a working PageMaker 6 (PM6.5 and earlier files) but my program no longer reads my files. I want to move them to Word or PDF. I can upload to ONE DRIVE and send a link. These are former working files on a project to start a fast ferry passenger system for the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. I would really appreciate the help.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil,

Thanks for reaching out. For Pagemaker files, you need ID CS6. Once the file is open in InDesign we can export it to PDF. Could you please confirm which version InDesign you have on your system?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PageMaker 6.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a link to the files. Ideally it would be a package with linked images,  it even just the PM files is enough. I, or someone else, will export to IDML which you can open in any recent version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

Can I send you a .p65 file also to convert to indd?

Any help would be great.

Holly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pagemaker 6.5 files would have a P65 file extension. PM 7 would be PMD.

Anything else would indicate that they are not PM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these are old Mac files, they likely did not have an extension at all. The "EXEC" icon is indicative of such an old file being transfered to a current OSX system. These files can be resurrected by adding either P65 or PMD, he opened with an ID capable of opening PM files... (doesn't matter which extension, as the document structure between 6.5 and 7 on the Mac are pretty much identical.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign CS6 on Mac and have recently converted PageMaker files. I'm willing to try yours, too if you share them (like in a Dropbox folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

Thanks for your offer to help here but Mike had already started the process and successfully 'translated' the files.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone willing to try converting some old .p65 files I have?  I am able to open and save them in PageMaker 7 on a Windows machine.  But when I try to open the .p65 or .pmd files in InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (Windows), the non-specific error I get is that they are corrupt or there's a missing plug-in or some other possible cause.  I aim to get them into InDesign CC on a Mac.  Also, they link to external image files, if that matters.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see what I can do. Attach them or (better) send a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Scott!

I just received two PageMaker files from 1999 and haven't been able to convert them. Probably created on a Mac.

I have InDesign CC but it wouldn't convert them. Neither did unoconv.

By the way, they are editions of Winking World, the primary tiddlywinks publication.

Here's the link: http://tiddlywinks.org/transfer/winking-world/

I'd appreciate it if you'd give them a go!

Thanks, and all the best!

- Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can[t access the files. I don’t have permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. Not sure why the permissions don't work. Here's another link to the same files: http://iftwa.org/transfer/ . Thanks once again.

- Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been a user of PageMaker 6.5 for many years and was disappointed when it would not load on my new Windows 10 computer. I did stumble upon a potential work around.
On my Windows 10 computer, I was looking through a hard drive from an old computer (running windows 98) which was able to run PageMaker 6.5. Of course this hard drive had the operating system from the old computer since I had simply pulled the hard drive from the unit. Out of curiosity I double clicked on the PM65.EXE file. Much to my surprise, PageMaker 6.5 started. I reloaded PageMaker onto an old Windows XP laptop to have a more current operating system and smaller cleaner hard drive. I then cloned the hard drive of the laptop to a USB flash drive. I can now insert the USB drive into my Windows 10 computer and start PageMaker 6.5 from the flash drive. I did have to rename the "PM65.CNF" file to "PM65old.CNF" and let the program recreate the file in order to be able to save defaults. I haven't use it to extensively yet and I am sure I can probably streamline it to some extent. Some more experienced computer users can probably offer more improvements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines