Highlighted

Quick question about file names and epub export

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when validating my epub files online, I'll get  an error message about ASCII errors or symbols and to check the file name. Does that mean I shouldn't use apostrophes in my doc titles? I ask because when I'm laying out a book and I title the document, I use the author's chapter titles for the chapter document as well, especially when I'm using the book palette. 

However, I saved a test doc with an apostrophe in the title and it exported fine and cleared validation as well so now I'm more confused. 

When does using apostrophes or dashes in the title mess up an epub export?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by master_mo | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

The recommendation from is 'Don’t use spaces or odd characters in file names or style names. Stick to letters, numbers, and underscores.' 

You can read the full post here. http://epubsecrets.com/indesign-best-practices-epub-exports.php

Topics

Bug, EPUB, How to, Import and export, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Quick question about file names and epub export

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when validating my epub files online, I'll get  an error message about ASCII errors or symbols and to check the file name. Does that mean I shouldn't use apostrophes in my doc titles? I ask because when I'm laying out a book and I title the document, I use the author's chapter titles for the chapter document as well, especially when I'm using the book palette. 

However, I saved a test doc with an apostrophe in the title and it exported fine and cleared validation as well so now I'm more confused. 

When does using apostrophes or dashes in the title mess up an epub export?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by master_mo | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

The recommendation from is 'Don’t use spaces or odd characters in file names or style names. Stick to letters, numbers, and underscores.' 

You can read the full post here. http://epubsecrets.com/indesign-best-practices-epub-exports.php

Topics

Bug, EPUB, How to, Import and export, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Masster Mo!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines