Highlighted

Quick way to translate fake bold to a real bold font?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a client who is supplying all their text for a label in Excel.

This text is formatted with a normal weight font and bold font. This bold is important and needs to be retained for the artwork.

When I copy and paste this into InDesign or Illustrator, it doesn't bring over the bold formatting.

I assume it's because they haven't used a true bold font, rather than a fake bold in Excel.

So I will have to add this bold in, on the ratwork whch is going to take a huge amount of time.

Is their a way to translate this before pasting, using an intermediary app or configure Excel in some way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

Rather than copying and pasting you should import text from Excel using File>Place with a selected text frame with the cursor active. When the Import dialog window appears check Show Import Options in the lower right and then scroll to and select the Excel file. Then in the Microsoft Excel Import Options that appears make sure that Formatted Table is chosen under Formatting. 

Bill_Silbert_0-1596553321527.png

Topics

How to, Import and export, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Quick way to translate fake bold to a real bold font?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a client who is supplying all their text for a label in Excel.

This text is formatted with a normal weight font and bold font. This bold is important and needs to be retained for the artwork.

When I copy and paste this into InDesign or Illustrator, it doesn't bring over the bold formatting.

I assume it's because they haven't used a true bold font, rather than a fake bold in Excel.

So I will have to add this bold in, on the ratwork whch is going to take a huge amount of time.

Is their a way to translate this before pasting, using an intermediary app or configure Excel in some way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

Rather than copying and pasting you should import text from Excel using File>Place with a selected text frame with the cursor active. When the Import dialog window appears check Show Import Options in the lower right and then scroll to and select the Excel file. Then in the Microsoft Excel Import Options that appears make sure that Formatted Table is chosen under Formatting. 

Topics

How to, Import and export, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines