Exit

"Cascading" paragraph styles?

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using SC6

I know about the function "Next Style" in paragraph styles, but as I understand, it can be applied to only one paragraph (Syle X to 1st paragraph, style Y to the next one, style Z to the next one and so on)? Is there a possibility to "nest" styles (similar to how the nested paragraph style is done), for example: Apply style X to the fiirst paragraph, after that apply style Y to the next 3 paragraphs, then apply style Z until certain trigger at the end of the paragraph , and so on? I understand, it can by done by a script, but is there other way, just via Indesign functionalities?

Thank you in advance

Vera

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Set up your next-styles in paragraph styles.

To apply, have your Type tool selected into the range of paragraphs that goes from first in series to last in series, in the series of sequential styles.

Hovering over the correct first paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles panel, next you would right-click the mouse and choose "Apply then Next Style" or similar wording.

This works OK but has to be done subheading to last paragraph before the next subheading. It cannot be fully automated, because In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Set up your next-styles in paragraph styles.

To apply, have your Type tool selected into the range of paragraphs that goes from first in series to last in series, in the series of sequential styles.

Hovering over the correct first paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles panel, next you would right-click the mouse and choose "Apply then Next Style" or similar wording.

This works OK but has to be done subheading to last paragraph before the next subheading. It cannot be fully automated, because InDesign cannot reason on what a new subheading is. IOW, the computer cannot read with human comprehension.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines