• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Generate QR Code" Web Hyperlink TLD Character Limit?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the Web Hyperlink feature of "Generate QR Code" in the latest version (as of the date of this posting) does not support web URLs which have more than 3 Top Level Domain (TLD) characters.

Example:

*.com URLs will work

*.life or *.world URLs will not work.

I haven't done enough digging to know if this is a limitation of QR codes in general (doubtful) or if it's just InDesign.

Anyone know of a way around this issue for InDesign?  I haven't submitted a help/bug ticket for this yet, not sure how known of a problem it is.

Thanks in advance for any insights.  I'm doing QR code stuff for the first time ever, surpised I ran into this limitiation in the first 10 minutes of making an effort 😞

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Nevermind everyone (probably no one).  Turns out the problem was only with the stock Android camera QR Code read feature (on a Pixel 5 at least).  iOS 14 works just fine with the stock camera as well as with Google Lens.

False alarm, I'm an idiot 😞

Feel free to close this thread Adminnosaurus Rexes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, almost forgot an important peice of info if this is a legitimate bug.

If I enter "http://www.mycoolwebsite.life"  as the URL for a web hyperlink (honestly who still uses the term "hyperlink"!?),  the QR Code which is generated will point to "http://www.mycoolwebsite.li"

(Notice the missing "fe" at the end of the URL there.  Yeah, weird huh?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind everyone (probably no one).  Turns out the problem was only with the stock Android camera QR Code read feature (on a Pixel 5 at least).  iOS 14 works just fine with the stock camera as well as with Google Lens.

False alarm, I'm an idiot 😞

Feel free to close this thread Adminnosaurus Rexes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thread is locked - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines