Highlighted

"X" that denoted the center of the box in Indesign several updates ago

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several Indesign updates ago, there was a small "X" that in the center of the graphic box and the text box. It really helped to center items quickly. It dissappeared with an update some months ago. I've searched, but cant seem to find how to bring it back... or is it gone? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"X" that denoted the center of the box in Indesign several updates ago

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several Indesign updates ago, there was a small "X" that in the center of the graphic box and the text box. It really helped to center items quickly. It dissappeared with an update some months ago. I've searched, but cant seem to find how to bring it back... or is it gone? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The center of a selected object should be identified by a small box, if you don't see it, your layer color may be set to white, double click the layer to change it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried several layer colors but still no "x" or small box in the center of my type box or graphic box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a small "X" in the middle of a graphic box only when I re-size the box. Not when I reposition it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No small box on a selected object? that's odd. You could try resetting your preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS this what you're referring to? (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. If you don’t see this message, either try again (it’s a timing thing)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this will reset all of your InDesign preferences. I'm not sure this will fix your issue, but it might.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for your help, but resetting preferences didn't help. There is a small "X" for scaling but not for repostioning. I changed layer color after resetting prefs, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on your view, is it in Preview modus maybe? Did you turn off show edges maybe? Or did you use the tool without the cross instead to draw the frames?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found the solution to this problem? As tenben described, in 2018 and earlier the small x in the center of the box stayed there when the box was moved allowing us to easily and quickly center the box on intersecting x and y guides. Don't know if there is a name for the x in the box center, but it was there until InDesign 2019. In the 2020 version of ID the small x only appears momentarily when the box is drawn. Hide or show frame edges doesn't bring it back, nor can we find a preference to turn it on or off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can remember, InDesign only shows the center box/x for unassigned frames—not text frames or graphic frames—and the frame has to be selected, and it can't have a fill.

Illustrator shows it for all closed paths, and it can be enabled/disabled in the Attributes panel, but InDesign doesn't have that option.

~Barb 

y_example.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. InDesign 2018 shows the center small x in the both rectangle boxes and the text box when they are drawn or moved even if there is color in the box. ID 2020 only shows the small x as the box is drawn. Very nice graphic you sent, though. Wish we knew how to do that. We just do print.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel that you are thinking of Illustrator and not InDesign. If it is Illustrator it is part of the Attributes panel. If you click on the Show Center icon you will see an X when click or move an object. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.25.26 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but it was in InDesign. We use ID almost exclusively. Unfortunatley, there is no "Show Center" icon check box in the ID Attriburtes panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Barb. One of the reasons that the center point isn't necessary with text and graphic frames is that if the frame's fill is None for a text or graphic frame, you can still move the frame by clicking inside the frame. This hasn't changed in recent versions.

But with Unassigned frames, and you have a frame will a fill of None, you can ONLY move the frame by clicking on the inside of the frame by clicking on the center dot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you can also click on the edge of a unassigned frame and move it even if the fill is none.

Back to my original post, I assume Adobe removed that small x in the center of any frame once it is drawn, but if anyone discovers otherwise please post that info.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines