Highlighted

Racist spell check?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about removing/adding words to my dictionary, but how is this even possible? Ninja is not a word I type often, and I have never typed anything remotely CLOSE to the Suggested Correction, so why would something so racist pop up? 

WTF.JPG

Hi there, 

I apologise for the experience that you've had here but trust me this is not intended at all. 
The spellcheck is as per the dictionary and the suggested corrections that you're getting are also from that dictionary only. It is in no manner affected by your frequently used words or region or the document content. 

I request you to not feel offended by these suggested correction and you can anytime ignore these and use words that fit in your content the best. 

If you still want, you can go ahead and write a feedback here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/ so that the team can assist you better.

Regards,

Sheena

TOPICS
Bug, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Racist spell check?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about removing/adding words to my dictionary, but how is this even possible? Ninja is not a word I type often, and I have never typed anything remotely CLOSE to the Suggested Correction, so why would something so racist pop up? 

WTF.JPG

Hi there, 

I apologise for the experience that you've had here but trust me this is not intended at all. 
The spellcheck is as per the dictionary and the suggested corrections that you're getting are also from that dictionary only. It is in no manner affected by your frequently used words or region or the document content. 

I request you to not feel offended by these suggested correction and you can anytime ignore these and use words that fit in your content the best. 

If you still want, you can go ahead and write a feedback here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/ so that the team can assist you better.

Regards,

Sheena

TOPICS
Bug, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 21, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think you are missing the point. Why is a, overwhelmingly generally-accepted-as-racist term even IN the dictionary? I have never seen the word F*CK as a suggestion - any many would consider a racial slur far worse than a sexually based slang term. 

And are you SERIOUSLY requesting me "to not feel offended"??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that term quite offensive but it is in heavy use especially in what passes for music these days.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating moment you have uncovered there. Consider, though, that computerized dictionaries cannot read nor do they exercise any moral judgment nor do they perceive anything that might cause embarassment or shame. It's just a list of words. Words that have been around for centuries are recorded neutrally in dictionaries.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it and completely understand the dictionary is a list of neutral words - this one, however, is collected and controlled by Adobe, so AGAIN back to my point -- the word F*ck isn't in the adobe dictionary. Why is the racist one?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber:

Yes, it's offensive and I understand your outrage. We can't fix this, but you can get the process started by following Sheena's advice and posting this on https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

This is a user-to-user forum. We volunteer in our free time to help other users learn how to use the complex features of InDesign. The Adobe InDesign engineering team will need to address this and that link is how to reach them.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unhappily interesting, I tried an experiment:

I typed the vulgarity that begins with an f in a correct spelling as well as an assorted dozen different ways it might be mispelled (fick, fack, feck, fock, fucx, fusk). Then I ran the spell-checker.

The spell-checker (Hunspell) recognized the correct spelling of the expletive, therefore went past it; but when it stopped on each of the next ten near mispellings, it never offered the correctly-spelled vulgarity. (How is that possible?)

But when Amber had a mis-spelled word nija (intending ninja), the spell-checker offered up the deeply-racism-laden word ni*ga. 

The newer Hunspell dictionary also recognized two variant spellings of the N-word as spelled correctly, hence passing them by. But on further variant misspellings, it offered the word ni**a; never the word ni**er. 

I then went to preferences and changed the dictionary to the older Proximity dictionary. I restarted the file.

Next I ran the spell checker again. With the older Proximity dictionary, the N-word and the f-vulgarity was neither recognized as spelled correctly, nor did it ever suggest spell-correcting to those vulgar words.

Personally, I like Proximity's approach to such a outrage-inducing matter, but again, dictionaries are merely recording lists of our spoken language, warts and all. It doesn't reason on whether it is giving offense. Only humans can reflect on how they express themselves.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 1