• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random poltergeist activity in InDesign......

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joking apart, I have a very strange thing occuring over the last few months with revisiting Indesign files for updates for a client.

The job is instruction books for a UK wooden toy manufaturer.

I will lay up the file with all the relevent inages in advance. Alongside the images will be text lines giving part number and/or the size of the part. So I will just position a text box with a random measurement (for example 3mmx50mm). So to be clear all the images are now laid out with all having the same text giving the same size.

I will then, with the client, go through the file and change all the sizes to the correct size, and generally all these will be different. Still with me?

The file will be finished proof read, approved and sent off to print, packed in the boxes and distributed. All good.

So a year later I am asked to revisit these files to make modifications and changes. I do and send to proof reading and they are returned because the text showing the sizes have reverted to the original filler text I placed before. Some files have chnged all of them, others have only changed some. This has happened on many seperate files.

Whats going on????

Thanks hive minds...

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

You state you create a document (version 1) you subsequently make changes to the original document (version 2), but a year later when you reopen the document it has reverted to the original version (version 1) is that correct?

By the way, presumably you sent a PDF off to the printers of version 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Derek.

So this first reared its head last year and I was working on a Mac, High Sierra and using Adobe Indesign CC 2019

I am now on Big Sur with Indesign 2021. Same problem...

No it didn't revert to original version in full, but just with some of the text. The only pattan is that specific text was used as a filler thoughout the document before it was changed to the correct version of text.

No. printer hasn't yet seen PDF only client. Due to this problem. They are being double and tripple checked in proof reading stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines