• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random Saturation of Colors on Placement of Image

Engaged ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting increased saturation of some colors of jpg images (compared to their appearance in Photoshop or Bridge), when placing them into my inDesign document.

If this is a known effect that can be avoided, please advise; otherwise, I will attempt carefully to desaturate affected colors prior to placing, in what could become a potentially tedious, trial-and-error process.

Although I have noticed this behavior in the past, this time it is particularly egregious, and has to be 'toned down'. Pending a reply from one of you, I'll try the method described above.

Best,

jwc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Also, Color Settings determine how future documents will be color managed and have little or no affect on existing documents.

When you save your JPEG make sure to include its profile by checking Embed Color Profile, otherwise it will take on the profile assigned to your InDesign document, which could be different. For existing documents check Edit >Assign Profiles... in both apps.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.32.12 AM.png

Here the same image has been placed with and without an embedded profile. The top image has no profile and gets assign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the color settings (found under the Edit Menu in both InDesign and Photoshop) are exactly the same for the RGB and CMYK working spaces. If they are not you will see a large shift in color when importing Photoshop images into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Color Settings determine how future documents will be color managed and have little or no affect on existing documents.

When you save your JPEG make sure to include its profile by checking Embed Color Profile, otherwise it will take on the profile assigned to your InDesign document, which could be different. For existing documents check Edit >Assign Profiles... in both apps.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.32.12 AM.png

Here the same image has been placed with and without an embedded profile. The top image has no profile and gets assign the ID document RGB profile, which in this case is the very different ProPhotoRGB. When you select an image you can assign a profile via Object>Image Color Settings..., so you don't have to resave your JPEGs.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.36.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.36.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't help me. I double-checked and exported the picture from Photohop selecting the embedded profile and the sRGB profile (which is what i have in my indesign project). the colours look fine in photoshop and a regular preview but become oversaturated as soon as its placed into indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't get how to delete so here's the solution: hit Shift + E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOW I'm not sure what Shift + E did but it totally fixed the issue of Indesign randomly deciding to oversaturate my images upon placing them on the canvas. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines