• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Data Merge Crashing with InDesign CC 9.2

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to figure this out for days.  My InDesign file was locking and freezing when I clicked "Create Merged Document."  Instead of creating a merged document,  I clicked "Export to PDF" and then it worked.

How could the solution have been that easy? This does not make sense.  It cannot have been that easy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Hey all, I had the same problem. ID crashed when I tried to Select Data Source. Starting a clean file from scratch solved the problem. I just pasted the design from the original document and all went OK. ID CC 13.1 x64 @ Win 10

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try exporting the document to IDML; then re-opening that IDML file to Save-As to a new InDesign document? Then, re-attempt to make a Data Merge?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also consider an update to the most recent bug-fix version of InDesign CC, that's version 9.3.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, I had the same problem. ID crashed when I tried to Select Data Source. Starting a clean file from scratch solved the problem. I just pasted the design from the original document and all went OK. ID CC 13.1 x64 @ Win 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data merge kept freezing. Five frustrating hours later with no merge, I saw this post about saving as a pdf insteading of creating a merge file and it worked in 30 seconds for a 1400+ page file. Thank you for the tip. It was that easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. So when exactly do you save as a PDF? Because my file is crashing right after I click Ok to merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. the hamburger menu in the Data Merge window has an option to Export to PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering the same thing. I dont see anywhere in the Data Merge area to save as .pdf. Let me know what you find out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later I still have the same problem lol, thank you for the thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem 4 years later. This is an intermittent issue. It works on some days and on others it crashes every time I open the data merge window. No idea why it's happening or what is causing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue! I can pretty much call it a day after attempting to use the Data Merge feature. InDesign completely freezes - for an hour or more- and even when I attempt to Force Quit, subsequent attempts to open the document cause it to crash again! 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mkanderson1 
I finally solved the issue by exporting a .txt file vs .csv. I haven't had an issue since. I download a .tsv file from Google Sheets and changed that file to .txt (I just changed the letters in the extension, nothing fancy). I also bought Cole Candoo's data merge to a unique filename extension (A f-ing life saver). Still had the crashing / freeze issue until I tried a .txt vs .csv. Hope this works for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've only been using txt files and not csv. 😞 Not sure what the issue is. Appreciate your reply though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 5 years later, this thread saved me too. I both copy-pasted to a new file and used tab-delimited text instead of CSV, so i can't say which fixed it, but merge works again. And exporting to PDF from the merge tab, that's great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has started crashing for me whenever I click data merge icon. Suggested fixes not working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recreated multiple excel .txt files. When cc required a .txt instead of .csv it was a problem. the tab delimited .txt worked but i need to have a working product. please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mgdibblee,

Thank you for reaching out. Can you share the complete workflow and the version of InDesign & OS so that we can try to reproduce the issue? Please share the necessary details/steps to reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Rishabh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of you could have saved me alot of grief if you had just said “MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING INDESIGN 2024 NOT 2023”. I was not aware that indesign had been upgraded. The highlighting bug still remains in 2024 but can be mitigated by hiding the ruler. the agent said “the team is working on it”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could have saved yourself the grief by not hijacking a years-old post that discussed something that had absolutely nothing to do with your issue. What you are seeing has been discussed over and over again.

In the future, do yourself a favor and check the dates of the discussions and if in doubt, start a new one.

I'm going to lock this one to avoid any further confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines