Highlighted

Re: Data Merge Crashing with InDesign CC 9.2

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to figure this out for days.  My InDesign file was locking and freezing when I clicked "Create Merged Document."  Instead of creating a merged document,  I clicked "Export to PDF" and then it worked.

How could the solution have been that easy? This does not make sense.  It cannot have been that easy.

Hey all, I had the same problem. ID crashed when I tried to Select Data Source. Starting a clean file from scratch solved the problem. I just pasted the design from the original document and all went OK. ID CC 13.1 x64 @ Win 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Re: Data Merge Crashing with InDesign CC 9.2

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to figure this out for days.  My InDesign file was locking and freezing when I clicked "Create Merged Document."  Instead of creating a merged document,  I clicked "Export to PDF" and then it worked.

How could the solution have been that easy? This does not make sense.  It cannot have been that easy.

Hey all, I had the same problem. ID crashed when I tried to Select Data Source. Starting a clean file from scratch solved the problem. I just pasted the design from the original document and all went OK. ID CC 13.1 x64 @ Win 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 12, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try exporting the document to IDML; then re-opening that IDML file to Save-As to a new InDesign document? Then, re-attempt to make a Data Merge?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also consider an update to the most recent bug-fix version of InDesign CC, that's version 9.3.

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data merge kept freezing. Five frustrating hours later with no merge, I saw this post about saving as a pdf insteading of creating a merge file and it worked in 30 seconds for a 1400+ page file. Thank you for the tip. It was that easy!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. So when exactly do you save as a PDF? Because my file is crashing right after I click Ok to merge.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. the hamburger menu in the Data Merge window has an option to Export to PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering the same thing. I dont see anywhere in the Data Merge area to save as .pdf. Let me know what you find out. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0