• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering InDesign file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working for long hours on an Indesign file, the file was saved, but the computer fall out of battery and the InDesign file won't open anymore. The message I'm getting is: 'Could not complete your request because of a Database error.'

I need to have this project delivered by Monday and the Adobe support is closed until there. Could someone help?  I'm working on a Mac book Pro 2017, MOS Mojave 10.14.6. (18G4032),
InDesign v 14.01 and the file was saved to my computer.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

A wild try, since you said the file was saved.

Upgrade to the 2021 version of InDesign. Use that to try to open the file. Supposedly, if it sniffs a corrupt file, it whisks it away to someplace, repairs it, and then brings it back relaxed and happy. You might try it and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

All good! I have just updated my InDesign and it recovered the file 🙂
Yayyyy! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you were working in a Dropbox or Onedrive folder which keeps versions? If not, unfortunately, you just learned why you should be. Sorry, but without a back up of some type, I'm afraid you have a lot of work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally use an external hard drive, but it wasn't plugged in at this time. 

Can the Adobe team recover the file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should save regularly and incrementally (filename1a.indd, filename1b.indd and so on), so you clear out the crud that builds up over a period in InDesign documents and causes file corruption, and you can also then return to an earlier version if there's an issue with the current version. Also, save copies externally so you can access documents from another computer if you have an issue with the current computer such as getting stolen or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good! I have just updated my InDesign and it recovered the file 🙂
Yayyyy! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wild try, since you said the file was saved.

Upgrade to the 2021 version of InDesign. Use that to try to open the file. Supposedly, if it sniffs a corrupt file, it whisks it away to someplace, repairs it, and then brings it back relaxed and happy. You might try it and see if it helps.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much! As a coincidence I just did, and worked! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines