Highlighted

Red Highlight Covering Ad ?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon. I am new to Indesign. Our company has been using Quark Xpress for 15+ years. We're finally ready to make the switch. I'm learning swiftly; however, I have a couple of ads Grayscale ads that show up with a bold red highlight on them when I preview (sometimes covering the entire ad) - I cannot find what this indicator means, nor how to fix it.  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Also, grayscale objects with no transparency can have color applied. It could be that the image is filled with Black and the parent holding frame is filled with red, Something like this:

Screen Shot 11.png

The parent frame with the image deleted:

Screen Shot 12.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Red Highlight Covering Ad ?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon. I am new to Indesign. Our company has been using Quark Xpress for 15+ years. We're finally ready to make the switch. I'm learning swiftly; however, I have a couple of ads Grayscale ads that show up with a bold red highlight on them when I preview (sometimes covering the entire ad) - I cannot find what this indicator means, nor how to fix it.  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Also, grayscale objects with no transparency can have color applied. It could be that the image is filled with Black and the parent holding frame is filled with red, Something like this:

Screen Shot 11.png

Screen Shot 12.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I preview

Preview is found under View > Screen Mode > Preview. I'm guessing you are selecting Window > Output > Separations Preview? Areas that exceed the ink coverage limit are shown in shades of red (dark red areas exceed the ink coverage limit by more than light red areas). All other areas appear in grayscale.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/preparing-print-separations.html#preview_color_separations.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 1
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that there are layers in the linked art that can be turned off (e.g. a varnish), select an object and go to Object> Object layer options, turn off the unwanted layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 1
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were these ads created in InDesign or did you use software like Markzware Q2ID to convert the Quark files? If the latter then you should know that the conversion should be looked at as an imperfect copy that will need refining to make it into a reliable file. That being said I agree with Luke Jennings that the red is a deliberately defined area most likely for areas of varnish coating. The easiest thing would be to go Window>Layers which will bring up the Layers Panel. If you see separate layers there then click them on and off until the unwanted one goes away. If you only see one layer then click on the ">" to the left of the Layer name. You'll then see a list of sublayers which you can turn on and off until you find the right one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The ad images were created in Photoshop - the text in Quark. We are finally transitioning fully over to InDesign! Super Excited to be done with Quark! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 11.png

Screen Shot 12.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0