Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative paths in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

My company is working on creating a new budget report template for over 25 of the shopping centers we lease and manage. We started off by making a "main template" that is unversial for all the centers by creating artwork in Illustrator (header & footer) then importing them into InDesign. We plan to change out information based on that center. 

Is there a way to relink a file (i.e. the specific header for the center) and it changes on all of the 50+ pages of the Indesign file? I know I could go through and import the new header for each page, but this will be very time consuming. I tried research relative links vs. absolute links but didn't find much information.

Thank you for the help/suggestions in advance!

- Eric

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

If the name stays the same, relinking to a new file would update all the instances of the linked graphic. But if you rename the graphic, then it's not automatic. There may be a script for this but I'm not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the name stays the same, relinking to a new file would update all the instances of the linked graphic. But if you rename the graphic, then it's not automatic. There may be a script for this but I'm not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines