Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relink PNG to PSD

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning.

We get linked files that are PNG and we convert them to CMYK PSD file and keep them the same name except for the ext.

Is there a script that will relink PNG to PSD in Indesign. Right now we  manually relinking each one in the links panel.

Thanks

Fred

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

No need for a script, go to the links panel and choose this in the dropdown menu (my screen shot is in French but you will easily understand)

Capture d’écran 2020-12-16 à 15.44.08.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for a script, go to the links panel and choose this in the dropdown menu (my screen shot is in French but you will easily understand)

Capture d’écran 2020-12-16 à 15.44.08.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s also no need to make the conversion to CMYK in Photoshop, the same conversion can be made from InDesign on an export to PDF or from the print RIP. On an Export, simply set the Output tab’s destination to Document CMYK and the RGB PNGs will be converted into your document’s assigned CMYK space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this below snippet : 

// You can include whatever Extension you wish for it in this below list for relinking
var extension = ["psd", "png"];
//============================================
var myDoc = app.documents[0];
for(var i = 0; i < myDoc.links.length; i++){
    var imageName = myDoc.links[i].name.split(".")[0];
    var folderPath = File(myDoc.links[i].filePath.replace(/\\/g,'/')).parent.fsName.replace(/\\/g,'/');
    if(myDoc.links[i].status.toString() != "NORMAL"){
        for(var x = 0; x < extension.length; x++){
            if(File(folderPath+"/"+imageName+"."+extension[x]).exists){
                myDoc.links[i].relink(File(folderPath+"/"+imageName+"."+extension[x]));
                break;
                }
            }
        }
    }
//============================================

Best

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a script I use for my workflow. It resaves the selected image as psd-file in photoshop as relinks it on InDesign.
However, it doesn't convert to CMYK, but a line of code can be added for this.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the input. the relink in the links pallet is the one that looks like the best fit for us. I will try some of the scripts also. Leaving them RGB doesn't really work for our work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting to PDF for print? If so, the Destination CMYK profile can be set in the PDF export preset and the conversion output numbers would be the identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the things want to make sure the backgrounds of the photos match the other backgrounds in the indesign file. Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can get matching output numbers and still work with RGB images—you would just have to make sure the ID Document and PNG RGB profiles are the same. Here I’ve placed an AdobeRGB PNG in an ID doc with AdobeRGB also assigned, and sampled its background. Separation Preview shows the output ISO Coated v2 CMYK numbers match—they will aso match on an export to PDF/X-4 or PDF/X-1a:

RGB1.pngRGB2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines