Highlighted

Remove Copy/Paste Ability from PDF Exports

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am a chemistry lab manager and I am in the process of rewriting and reformating our lab materials using InDesign. I'd like to be able to disable students' ability to copy and paste from the PDF made by exporting my .indd; is this possible? Any suggestions?

This is done in Acrobat, not in InDesign:

• Open the PDF in Acrobat
  • File > Properties > Security > Security Method > Password Security
  • Disable "Enable copying of text, images and other content"
  • Add a permissions password, OK, Confirm, OK

acrobat.png

This is a deterrent but be aware that if a student uses a program other than Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to access the file and they may get around the permissions password. You can purchase more robust encryption, but this is what comes with the software.

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Remove Copy/Paste Ability from PDF Exports

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am a chemistry lab manager and I am in the process of rewriting and reformating our lab materials using InDesign. I'd like to be able to disable students' ability to copy and paste from the PDF made by exporting my .indd; is this possible? Any suggestions?

acrobat.png

This is a deterrent but be aware that if a student uses a program other than Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to access the file and they may get around the permissions password. You can purchase more robust encryption, but this is what comes with the software.

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acrobat.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I think I found a suitable workaround. I exported the .indd as a PDF, then opened the PDF in Acrobat. By printing-to-file and selecting the Print As Image option, I get a second PDF that treats the text as a static image. Most importantly, when I post this second PDF to our learning management system, it is not possible to copy and paste.

Of course, a student could probably find a workaround to that, but I am trying to prevent casual laziness. If they want to invest the work to figure out how to copy and paste, good for them 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, a pdf that is a static image can still have text that is in the image copied and pasted using the Edit PDF feature in the current full version of Acrobat Pro DC. This feature converts any text in the static image into editable and copyable text. It's an easily used feature. Barb's method should be far more of a deterrant.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines