Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove endnote reference number from optical margin alignment

Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

A document I'm working on includes lots of endnotes, which are up to three digits long. I've used optical margin alignment to keep the main text looking readable, but the endnote references are automatically included. The result is visually jarring when the endnote reference appears at the end of a line, as only some of the final digit in the endnote hangs over the margin. I'd prefer to keep the whole reference inside the margin. 

Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to specify this anywhere, or any kind of space I can add after the reference to trick InDeisgn into preventing the reference from crossing over the margin?

Thanks a lot!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the "Ignore Optical Margin" checkbox for the paragraph style. It's in the paragraph style options, under the "Indents and Spacing" tab.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ariel,

Thanks for responding so quickly. My issue is that I'm hoping to keep optical margin alignment for each paragraph, but make an exception for the endnote references whereby they'd be in line with the rest of the text, rather than being treated as punctuation that hangs over the border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M P,

Yes, I gathered that.

The checkbox I refer to is available for each paragraph style individually.

I am presuming that you have applied a particular and specific paragraph style to your endnotes.

If that is the case, go into the Style Options dialog for that paragraph style (right-click on the paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles window and select "Edit"), and check the checkbox to "Ignore Optical Margin."

That will disable it for that paragraph style only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for being so responsive, Ariel.

Sorry, I haven't been clear enough in explaining the problem. The difficulty I'm having is that with the endnote references in the main text—the superscript digits that appear in the body.

Funnily enough, I had a similar problem in the endnotes themselves, where the digits were crossed over the left borders. My solution there was to add a hair space immediately before the numerals, and that meant the optical margin alignment worked for each paragraph, while ensuring the endnote digits themselves didn't overhang on the left.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a workaround for the digits in the main text (at the end of lines, overhanging the right margin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example, but do let me know if it's not clear—or if I've misunderstood the solution you kindly suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! The endnote references in the main text. Yes, you did write that in the original question, I read too quickly.

Hmm, apart from creating a special paragraph style for any paragraph that has endnote references in it and disabling optical alignment for that style, I can't think of anything; and that would probably look funny.

Perhaps try turning down the optical alignment setting so that the effect is not so noticeable, but still there a bit.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ariel.

The turning-down-the-setting solution was the only one I could think of, so I may leave it at that, but if you or anyone else can think of anything, I'd be keen to give it a go.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be interested to see if anyone has other ideas as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello TAW,

I recently worked out a way to do this, although I can't think of how to automate it. I ended up adding line breaks that effectively made the line that ended with the endnote reference a paragraph of its own, and used a paragraph style to ignore the optical margin for only that line. This also meant making the preceding paragraph fully justified, as unnecessary (in this context) spaces otherwise crept in.

The results, however, were not that visually desirable, and the repositioned number made it easy to misinterpret the endnote reference as the end of a sentence, which isn't great in my case, as many of the references occur mid-sentence. I have ended up leaving the references overlapping the margins slightly, which lends the text an unfortunately quirky feel, but for what I'm doing, is preferable to the alternative. Still, if anyone needs to do this, there is a way, albeit a somewhat clunky one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply avoid to have an endnote number at the end of the line! "ni plus ni moins !"

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! That's certainly one way of doing it, but unfortunately some are unavoidable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "only unavoidable" are those at the end of a para! … But how much are on the right margin! …

To avoid endnote number at end of line, include this Grep style:  ~U\h + NoBreak char style

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for this, FRIdNGE, I really appreciate it, and it'll come in handy for lengthier paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines